You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-08 20:16:33

babaliaris
Website

[Solved] I moved my SSD to a new laptop. Should I reinstall Arch?

I've seen a lot of debates and rumors on the internet about doing a clean install of your OS in case you move your hard drive in a completely new hardware.  Is this true? Should I reinstall Arch?

Also if there is a wiki that explains exactly why this needs to be done, I would appreciate it if you could point me at the right direction.

Thanks!

Last edited by babaliaris (2023-01-09 01:43:24)

Github Account: github.com/babaliaris     big_smileArch General Guidelinesbig_smile
Favourite Distro: archlinux.org                           big_smileArch Wikibig_smile

#2 2020-04-08 20:23:10

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved] I moved my SSD to a new laptop. Should I reinstall Arch?

If you know what hardware is in the new laptop, the graphics stack etc, just adapt for that. A reinstall is just a waste of bandwidth.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-04-08 20:52:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I've seen a lot of debates and rumors on the internet about the world being flat and inhabited by a ruling order of reptile-people that have infiltrated all of human government to use commercial flights to disperse a global network of nanites in con-trails for the purpose of wireless mind control.  Is this true?  Should I wear a tin-foil hat?

I'm really unsure as I can't find anything on our wiki about these ideas being true or false.  Even if they are completely false and nonsensical, there should still be a wiki page stating that, right?

tl;dr: Don't reinstall; rebuild your initramfs.

EDIT: well, f(*& me, there it is in the wiki - though most of that is about transferring data to a new drive which doesn't apply here.  Now I need to go look for the tin-foil page.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-04-08 21:47:45)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2020-04-08 21:03:48

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Trilby wrote:

Now I need to go look for the tin-foil page.

We have one of those... tongue

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2020-04-08 21:29:36

NuSkool

Trilby wrote:

I've seen a lot of debates and rumors on the internet about the world being flat and inhabited by a ruling order of reptile-people that have infiltrated all of human government to use comercial flights to disperse a global network of nanites in con-trails for the puprose of wireless mind control.  Is this true?

Lol, Naa, no worries bro, several of those are easily debunked conspiracy theories, so mostly untrue.

Also don't need to wear your foil hat till " 5G " is rolled out in your area. Not surprisingly, it's also reportedly the real cause of the covid-19 illness that gets blamed on the novel coronavirus.

op, I've migrated the same install to different hardware several times. Graphics drivers and initramfs will need attention "off the top of my head".

Take care everyone and be safe!
Trilby, check your spell checker.

#6 2020-04-08 21:35:16

babaliaris
Website

Thanks you guys for your advices?!!

Github Account: github.com/babaliaris     big_smileArch General Guidelinesbig_smile
Favourite Distro: archlinux.org                           big_smileArch Wikibig_smile

Board footer