You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-23 04:44:57

samipism

[SOLVED]Failed to boot after system update

After I updated the system through "pacman", the system fails to boot. It seems that some services are not started during boot time. It shows like this: Error

https://scontent.fbwa3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ … e=5EC7AF25

Failed to start Hostname Services
Failed to Start WPA supplicant
Failed to start Network Manager Script Dispatcher Services
Failed to start dhcpd on various interfaces
Failed to start Permit User Sessions

Solutions I tried:
1. By using bootable USB,
    a. I mounted the drive.
    b. arch-chroot to enter the system
    c. Updated the packages, re-installed linux,mkinitpcio and systemd as suggested in troubleshooting in arch-wiki

2. As above method failed, I opened the system in 'rescue' mode and I manually started the services "systemd-hostnamed", "systemd-user-sessions" and "dhcpd. Then, my pc booted. And it became normal. But, it didnot last.
Next time after reboot, same problem arises. Everytime, need to open the system in rescue mode.

Please suggest the solution. I exactly don't know the cause. Thank you in advance

Last edited by samipism (2020-04-29 07:01:48)

#2 2020-04-23 06:14:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]Failed to boot after system update

Please don't embed big images directly.

There are some issues with the current version of dhcpcd either downgrade it to the last 8.1.x release or grab the latest version from testing. See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=254857 as well.

#3 2020-04-23 06:33:59

samipism

V1del wrote:

Please don't embed big images directly.

There are some issues with the current version of dhcpcd either downgrade it to the last 8.1.x release or grab the latest version from testing. See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=254857 as well.

This worked. Thank you so much.

I am sorry for embed big images in post.

And, how can I prevent these type of upgrade issues in future?

#4 2020-04-23 06:56:16

V1del
Forum Moderator

These types of upgrade issues lie in the nature of a rolling release, you get the latest and greatest and sometimes that latest has a bug. It's unfortunate that it happened to such a "central" package and sometimes certain constellations lead to things working for the maintainer but breaking on other people's systems. E.g. I wasn't affected at all because I don't use dhcpcd, but just switching to other software and thinking it would "never" happen there is a naive approach/thought.

You can wait a couple of days between updates and read the boards here to check whether a widespread issue has been identified here.

If the issue is solved, please mark it as such by editing the title in your first post and prepending [SOLVED] or similar: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

FWIW the package has been updated now so the latest version should be fixed.

Last edited by V1del (2020-04-23 09:37:39)

#5 2020-04-24 11:35:43

jagot

I'm experiencing the same issue. Upgrading to the latest version 9.0.2 does not solve the issue for me, but downgrading to 8.1.7 does.

What I don't understand is why failing to start dhcpcd prevents all the other services from starting?

#6 2020-05-02 17:18:38

dessert

The issue still exists in v9.0.2-1, temporary workaround is starting the dhcpcd service manually at boot time or downgrading to v8.x.x respectively.

#7 2020-05-02 19:11:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

Most of the people still having issues are due to incorrect starting/enabling of the system services. Ensure that only ONE instance of dhcpcd (or any networkmanager for that matter) is enabled.

Board footer