You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-04 08:37:25

NalakaHewa

How to disable Kdeconnectd

Dear All,

I Googled this as much as I can. But couldn't find any substantial solution.

Kdeconnectd is not shown in "Startup and Shutdown" -> "Auto Start" or "Background Services" to disable it from there.

I found that this configuration file is available
/etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop

But changing anything there didn't disable the daemon.

I can't remove kdeconnect since it is a dependent of kdenetwork-meta

removing kdeconnect breaks dependency 'kdeconnect' required by kdenetwork-meta

Can someone please help me to disable the "kdeconnect" service from startup? I don't use it and I don't want it to run on my system.

Thank you
Nalaka

#2 2020-05-04 08:43:36

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: How to disable Kdeconnectd

The most surefire way to ensure that is to remove the package. What I personally do is to install the group instead of the meta package and occasionally if necessary/out of interest run

sudo pacman -S $group --needed

to add new members. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Me … kage_group as well.

#3 2020-05-04 08:53:07

NalakaHewa

V1del wrote:

The most surefire way to ensure that is to remove the package. What I personally do is to install the group instead of the meta package and occasionally if necessary/out of interest run

sudo pacman -S $group --needed

to add new members. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Me … kage_group as well.

I knew installing meta packages would come back to haunt me someday. Will dig in deeper to understand the difference between the two and be careful next time I Install. Thank you V1del

#4 2020-05-04 09:20:35

arojas
Developer

cp /etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop ~/.config/autostart

Then you can disable it in systemsettings

#5 2020-05-04 09:30:33

NalakaHewa

Thank you arojas. The entry is now available in the "Autostart". However, disabling it from there doesn't work. I rebooted and checked sad Guess uninstalling it would be the way to go.

Last edited by NalakaHewa (2020-05-04 10:32:28)

#6 2021-09-24 19:12:37

brlin

The thread is just about a year ago so I guess this doesn't count as necro-bumping according to the General guidelines...

I'd like to add a note that I seems to have fixed this problem via:

cp /etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop ~/.config/autostart/org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop

1. Edit ~/.config/autostart/org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop and do the following TWO modifications:

a. Add

OnlyShowIn=KDE;

line in the [Desktop Entry] section according to the Desktop Application Autostart Specification, this line alone only doesn't not prevent the autostart though...
   b. Change

X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

line to

X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false

, not sure why kdeconnectd would like to start up in GNOME in the first place...

Cheers.

#7 2022-09-01 16:38:35

mkurz

The solution from comment #6 didn't work for me.

However, after trying out and googling a lot, this worked for me:

First we need to avoid kdedconnect to autostart:

cp /etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop ~/.config/autostart/

Now edit the file ~/.config/autostart/org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop and add Hidden=true. Actually you can even remove everything else, because only the file name has to be identically so it's "overriden". So it looks like:

[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true

Now the autostart service is disabled, but this isn't enough. We also need to "disable" the d-bus service:

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services/
cp /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kdeconnect.service ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services/

Edit the file ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kdeconnect.service  and change Exec to /usr/bin/false so the file looks like:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.kde.kdeconnect
Exec=/usr/bin/false

/usr/bin/false will return with a "error" return code (because it returns with 1 and not 0), so your logs (via journalctl) may display the process couldn't start or failed. But that shouldn't matter.

Now kdeconnectd should not run anymore after you logout and login again.

Actually this solution is from
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … omments/15
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … omments/16

Board footer