You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-08 10:19:12

URemery

[GRUB] Changing grub keymap

Hi everybody,

I would like to change GRUB keymap (which is qwerty by default) to fr or azerty. I found some topics on internet recommending to do the following steps :

Create the keymap file :

mkdir /boot/grub/layouts
ckbcomp fr | grub-mklayout -o /boot/grub/layouts/fr.gkb

Add the following lines in /etc/grub.d/40_custom :

insmod keylayouts
keymap fr

And then update grub configuration.

So I tried this, grub does not display any error but if I enter the grub command line instead of booting arch, the keymap is still qwerty just as if the keymap file (fr.gkb) described a qwerty map.
I've also tried specifying "azerty" instead of "fr" when creating the keymap file, but nothing changed.

There is very little documentation about creating grub keymap files on internet, I don't know how to work this out. Does anyone know how to change GRUB keymap ?

Thank you,
Ugo

EDIT : I upgraded grub package to version 2:2.04-6 today. Nothing new.

Last edited by URemery (2020-05-08 10:58:58)

#2 2020-05-08 11:37:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [GRUB] Changing grub keymap

I've never tried this but see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … early_boot for an example involving the dvorak layout.

#3 2020-05-08 14:21:03

URemery

Re: [GRUB] Changing grub keymap

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I've never tried this but see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … early_boot for an example involving the dvorak layout.

Thank you Head_on_a_Stick,

It's the same protocol I followed, except for two things : 

- It uses grub-kbdcomp to generate the keymap file, which is the same as using ckbcomp fr | grub-mklayout according to other topics on internet. I tried it anyway and it doesn't work either.

- It embed the keymap change in the core image to be able to use a user-defined keymap to unlock a crypted boot partition. I doubt that it will change anything as it uses the exact same grub commands and file type. I may try it if I can't found something simpler.

Board footer