You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-16 03:26:32

PopeRigby

Monitor randomly disconnecting while playing the Witcher 3

I have an Acer R240HY and it keeps randomly disconnecting when I'm playing the Witcher 3 through WINE using Lutris. I'll be playing the game, and the monitor disconnects and cycles through all the possible inputs, trying to find a signal. I then have to wait around 3-5 seconds for it to reconnect. The game won't detect my input, even though it's seemingly only the monitor that's disconnecting. I worried that it might be that I might need to get a more powerful power supply, but I want to see if it's something less expensive to fix before I go that route.  My "EVGA 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply" is technically 100W below the suggested requirements for my graphics card (the RX 5700 XT)  but I didn't think that would be too big of a problem because modern graphics card rarely need that much power. Maybe that was a dumb mistake. I've been checking the temperature of the power supply with my hand when the disconnect is happening, and it doesn't seem to be all too hot, so I'm not sure if that's the problem.

"I even found myself driving by convenience stores... that weren't on the way home."

#2 2020-05-16 11:16:46

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Monitor randomly disconnecting while playing the Witcher 3

Check your kernel logs dmesg/journal/xorg logs when the issue happens

But yes underspeccing the power supply can have quite an effect here with stuff that's demanding (and I'd say with wine/vulkan translation overhead you are stressing your hardware more than you would on Windows)

Last edited by V1del (2020-05-16 11:17:23)

#3 2020-05-16 20:00:03

PopeRigby

V1del wrote:

I'll see if anything shows up.

But yes underspeccing the power supply can have quite an effect here with stuff that's demanding (and I'd say with wine/vulkan translation overhead you are stressing your hardware more than you would on Windows)

I was worried that might be the case. Too bad power supplies are so expensive. I guess I'll get one if I can't fix it. I'm wondering if I should go above the recommended requirement for the GPU or just do a 600W one like it said.

"I even found myself driving by convenience stores... that weren't on the way home."

#4 2020-05-17 00:52:07

PopeRigby

V1del wrote:

I checked all those logs and didn't see any errors. Another thing that might be helpful is that the game can't be alt-tabbed back into if I alt-tab out of it while the monitor is disconnected. I can usually alt-tab in and out of the game just fine. These are some relevant looking WINE messages:

WARNING: Experimental compiler backend enabled. Here be dragons! Incorrect rendering, GPU hangs and/or resets are likely
WARNING: disabling NGG because ACO is used.
warn:  DXGI: VK_FORMAT_D24_UNORM_S8_UINT -> VK_FORMAT_D32_SFLOAT_S8_UINT
warn:  DXVK: No matching border color found for (1e+10,1e+10,1e+10,1e+10)
warn:  DXGI: MakeWindowAssociation: Ignoring flags
Caught signal 15
passing along signal to PID 61494
--terminated processes--
Game is considered exited.
All monitored processes have exited.
Never found the initial process' return code. Weird?
Exit with returncode 0

#5 2020-05-17 05:54:25

kokoko3k

Are you playing with joypad?
Could it be that it just goes in standby because of no keyboard/mouse events?

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#6 2020-05-17 18:39:07

PopeRigby

I am, but I don't think that's the problem. When my computer usually goes into standby, it just exits to my lockscreen. The monitor doesn't disconnect.

#7 2020-05-25 02:40:29

PopeRigby

So, I just got my new power supply and it's still happening. Super frustrating.

Board footer