You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-18 02:40:03

MonkeyBoy

[SOLVED] Installed omz but ~/.oh-my-zsh is not there

[SOLVATION] The file ~/builds/oh-my-zsh/oh-my-zsh.install holds the solution.

Installed zsh and done basic config, set it as default shell and it works as it should. Used zsh for a few years w/o issues.

Wanted to try omz. Installed like any AUR install w/o complaints. About to config but .zshrc is still 'original' and there is no .oh-my-zsh at all in home, like it was never installed. Pacman -Q shows it is - what gives?

I 'flushed'/-Rns zsh and omz, then installed it from scratch again - nope.

I have duckduckgoed and trawled through omz homepage/github but to no avail. I have this nagging feeling I am missing something really basic and am about to be rather embarrassed. But after a few days of fiddling around that is a price I am willing to pay.

Please direct what info you need to help me because I am really lost here. Thx in advance

Last edited by MonkeyBoy (2020-05-19 20:57:51)

#2 2020-05-18 02:44:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Installed omz but ~/.oh-my-zsh is not there

Arch packaging guidelines forbid writing to a users $HOME.

Read the PKGBUILD: it describes where all the files are installed.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-05-18 10:19:30

Andy3153

Why don't you just install it from their Github though? They do have an install script

Look at the section Getting Started/Basic Installation on https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh . You can use either wget or curl to get their script and to run it

#4 2020-05-19 20:51:03

MonkeyBoy

@jasonwryan: I did my home work and found the oh-my-zsh-git/oh-my-zsh-git.install

post_install () {
	echo "You have to execute 'cp /usr/share/oh-my-zsh/zshrc ~/.zshrc' to use it." }

This text is shown once, at the clean install/makepkg, couldn't make it out from the PKGBUILD

Anyhow, embarressment is here but it is a low price for enlightenment. Thx!

@Andy3153 You are right, KISS is the thing. I considered it but as I suffer the 'Complicatius'-malady I stopped at considereding.

Board footer