You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-19 09:05:35

Luca_1

Blackscreen when connecting to Gnome Screenshare via VNC

Hello,

I'm trying to share the screen from my Laptop, running Arch Linux with GNOME, to my desktop PC, running Arch Linux with MATE. I enabled screen sharing via the Settings, but when I try to connect to the VNC Server using a VNC client on my Computer(I tried tigervnc and Remmina) I only see a black screen and a mouse cursor.

Mouse and keyboard input work. When searching through the internet I found multiple cases where this happened when trying to connect to a virtual session, however I want to share the running session.

My system is up to date, here are the versions for mutter, gnome-shell on the laptop and tigervnc, remmina and libvncserver on the desktop PC:

# On the Laptop
pacman -Q mutter gnome-shell
mutter 3.36.2-1
gnome-shell 1:3.36.2+7+ge4199c71c-1

# On the Desktop
pacman -Q tigervnc remmina libvncserver
tigervnc 1.10.1-2
remmina 1:1.4.3-1
libvncserver 0.9.12-2

If you need the version of any other gnome packages I'll be happy to provide these.

I'd appreciate any input that might help me solve this problem.

#2 2020-06-27 16:44:33

Luca_1

Re: Blackscreen when connecting to Gnome Screenshare via VNC

I did some testing and when using a VNC client to connect from the laptop to localhost it works. I have also tried with the newest versions:

# On the Laptop
$ pacman -Q mutter gnome-shell
mutter 3.36.3-1
gnome-shell 1:3.36.3-1

Under X11 I got VNC to work by using tigervnc, but under Wayland that's not working. So I don't think it's likely that it's an issue regarding the network connection between the two computers.

Did I miss some toggle to allow connections from outside in the settings?

Thank you for your help,
Luca

Board footer