You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-17 13:33:39

aks

ALSA Mic Recording Produces Crackling Noise

I installed Arch almost 2 weeks ago. I used asoundconf back then to set default card. The commands used was

asoundconf set-default-card Generic

Since then, headphone (output) is working fine.
But I had to record my screen last day with audio (my voice only) and so I plugged in my headphone ( it has 2 jacks : one each for headphone and mic).
I installed simplescreenrecorder and started to test my settings. Naturally, there was no audio input and ran alsamixer and changed "Capture" to

L    R
CAPTURE

by pressing space.
Since then, I am using only

arecord -f dat -d 5 test

and

aplay test

to test my voice recordings.
Audio is very low (I have very low voice) and is continually crackling.

As per, ALSA Crackling Microphone, added the following line to the newly created file /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

options snd-hda-intel model=Generic position_fix=3

BTW, I have not installed PulseAudio. I have tried plugging in Mic in both front and rear mic port. And, Microphone is working awesome in Windows (I don't wanna use Win).

This is my first post and I understand many information are missing. Please tell me all the commands whose output I need to add here to provide complete information. If alsamixer screenshot is required then please do tell, I will attach it. If recorded audio is required, I will add that too.

cat /proc/asound/cards

produces

0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfeb44000 irq 27
 1 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb40000 irq 16 
cat /proc/asound/pcm

produces

00-03: HDMI 0 : HDMI 0 : playback 1
01-00: ALC887-VD Analog : ALC887-VD Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
01-01: ALC887-VD Digital : ALC887-VD Digital : playback 1
01-02: ALC887-VD Alt Analog : ALC887-VD Alt Analog : capture 1

I am out of words. Please tell me there is some way to fix it.
MoBo : GA-F2A55M-DS2 (rev 3.0)
APU : AMD A4-4000
I have previously used Debian and I never had any problem of this kind.
Thank You!

Last edited by aks (2020-03-17 13:34:44)

#2 2020-03-17 17:00:48

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: ALSA Mic Recording Produces Crackling Noise

Randomly setting model=Generic or position_fix is almost never what you want to do revert that.

Do you have the k8temp (or whatever the name, the temp sensor for amd cpus) sensor loaded? I've seen reports of that going crazy and leading to sound issues. You should probably also remove the file asoundconf created it is often way overblown.

Last edited by V1del (2020-03-17 17:02:06)

#3 2020-03-18 13:55:13

aks

V1del wrote:

Randomly setting model=Generic or position_fix is almost never what you want to do revert that.

It didn't help me and I will surely remove it.

V1del wrote:

Do you have the k8temp (or whatever the name, the temp sensor for amd cpus) sensor loaded? I've seen reports of that going crazy and leading to sound issues.

I haven't manually installed any temperature reading software. Never required to check temperature. It is installed or loaded by default??

V1del wrote:

You should probably also remove the file asoundconf created it is often way overblown.

If I remove it, no sound comes out. Please suggest an alternative before I remove it.

Besides, what to do about the crackling noise in mic recordiing? Do you need more information? Then please ask, I'll provide it.

#4 2020-05-19 21:31:22

aks

V1del wrote:

It's been two months and I am still looking for a solution or hint. Please let me know if you find one.
Thanks!

Board footer