You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-20 22:00:29

luisfeser

[feature request] Ultra stable repo

Hello all,

I would like to come back to Arch, but... I need stability and tranquility to work in my laptop.

In the past I have suffered some system brokes on upgrades and recover needed time that I haven't got now.

I wanted to suggest to do an ultra stable repo with the same packages than in the others repos (core, extra, community) but with this "simples" characteristics:

- the package has been in stable repo 10 days and,
- at least 10 days without issues reported in any of forums or bugs

Really packages are the same, it is "just" to create and manage de .db and .files of this ultra stable repo

I hope this would be possible

Thanks

#2 2020-05-20 22:10:31

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [feature request] Ultra stable repo

This technically already exists (hint: the testing repositories), in addition to the fact that it isn't that much work for you to simply check yourself by delaying your own updates but keep a look out on the boards for any issues, you can use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive to keep yourself to "safe" increments.

Also without much higher maintenance work than I doubt anyone is willing to take you are just going to hit all the issues people had with a 10 day delay period, gaining you exactly nothing.

Last edited by V1del (2020-05-20 22:12:49)

#3 2020-05-20 22:12:34

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

luisfeser wrote:

I wanted to suggest to do an ultra stable repo...

Install Debian.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2020-05-20 22:13:22

Slithery
Administrator

Switch to Manjaro? They already do something similar...
https://manjaro.org/features/fresh-and-stable/

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2020-05-20 22:27:40

luisfeser

V1del wrote:

This technically already exists (hint: the testing repositories), in addition to the fact that it isn't that much work for you to simply check yourself by delaying your own updates but keep a look out on the boards for any issues, you can use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive to keep yourself to "safe" increments.

Also without much higher maintenance work than I doubt anyone is willing to take you are just going to hit all the issues people had with a 10 day delay period, gaining you exactly nothing.

I didn't know about ALA, sounds interesting

jasonwryan wrote:
luisfeser wrote:

I wanted to suggest to do an ultra stable repo...

Install Debian.

I'm on it smile. But I like Arch too

Slithery wrote:

Switch to Manjaro? They already do something similar...
https://manjaro.org/features/fresh-and-stable/

I tried, but the policy of upgrading a lot of packages at same time doesn't like me. I have had problems too

#6 2020-05-20 23:21:34

eschwartz
Fellow

Request denied.

Even Debian oldstable doesn't claim that it will run without issues. The promise of Debian oldstable is that whatever issues it has will remain the same from week to week, and you won't have to retrain yourself on how to use it and what workarounds to use for bugs you've seen.

That is, in fact, the definition of stable. Stable means "unchanging". A distribution which is defined in large part by the fact that it is always changing by providing the latest and greatest updates, cannot under any circumstances ever, no matter what, be defined as "stable".

Stable does not mean bug-free. Bug-free does not mean stable.

It's an oxymoron. You might as well talk about how you'd like to come back to the color blue, but at the same time, you need yellow "to work in my laptop", and would we please provide an alternative blue option which is actually yellow.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer