You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-28 12:42:17

Xaekai
Website

bash-completion + cmake

I believe everyone here should probably know what these are.

I'm curious why when both are installed the /usr/share/cmake-${pkgver}/completions/cmake file sits all lonely and collecting metaphoric dust unless the user is savvy enough to know to look for it and run it? It would seem to me that one should have hooks to detect the others presence and make sure that cmake gets the same treatment that autotools generated ./configure scripts and make+Makefiles do.

If there is some actual reasoning behind it not being standard or some discussion about why it's not default I'd be obliged to be pointed out where it may be located. It's a problematic topic to search, since most results will be about the usr/share/cmake/bash-completion/ files, but those are provided by bash-completion for devs of software projects that use cmake as the build system to provide customized completions. Whereas the aforementioned lonely file is where the generic completion support for the cmake command itself is, that doesn't get loaded by default as the packaging currently is. There is not magic search term to get this specific topic.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2 2020-03-28 13:28:23

Lone_Wolf

Re: bash-completion + cmake

The folder where packages store files for use by bash-completion is /usr/share/bash-completion/completions .

I do expect that many archlinux users only use cmake from within PKGBUILDS , so maybe no one noticed cmake lacks commandline completion ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-03-28 14:07:18

Xaekai
Website

Yes, I was aware of where the bash-completion kept the actual bulk of it's data.

Perhaps that is it. Having reviewed packaging standards, there seems to be no prohibition against using symlinks. Perhaps cmake could list bash-completion as opt-depends and include transaction hooks to symlink the file in the right place and remove it first if bash-completion is going to be uninstalled?

#4 2020-03-31 03:37:22

eschwartz
Fellow

Sheer incompetence on the part of the cmake developers: https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/ … eLists.txt

I've submitted a MR for it: https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/ … uests/4548

Last edited by eschwartz (2020-03-31 03:37:44)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2020-05-22 05:20:35

Xaekai
Website

Thank you for your recursion to the ultimately responsible entity.

#6 2020-05-22 17:05:12

eschwartz
Fellow

You're welcome. smile

Note that as of https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/66251 we now hack around this to install the completions to the right place, but we'll be able to drop this hack once cmake 3.18 is released.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer