You are not logged in.

#6851 2020-05-20 07:19:24

ctriaan

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello, All.

I've been using Arch for about 5 years and have used the Forums and Wiki extensively, so I thought it's about time to make it official and register.

#6852 2020-05-20 12:58:10

robertlturner

Hello,

2 years into my ArchLinux journey and I've posted my first request for help smile  Lot's of hitting my head against the wall, but also a lot of learning and fun.  I started out in Uni as an engineer, but got distracted by a 15 year career in international finance.  In the last 2 years I've brushed off those old technical skills and have dabbled in: ArchLinux, SQL, Python, chatbots, data analytics, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, HDL, FreeCodeCamp, & Robotics.  One of the quick takeaways was how easily influenced my two little ones are by watching me learn (a 2yr old and 4 yr old).  From assembling a ridiculously ambitious robot kit to practicing our soldering skills together making cool little kits from Sparkfun.  I often ask myself why I wasn't more aware of & engaged in this scene when I was a teenager and it was the late 90s.

I'm proud of my ArchLinux setup as hard as it has been, it has certainly taught me a lot (including resourcefulness and RTFM).  Probably the #1 'regret' that I have at the moment is that being self taught certainly leaves a lot to be desired.  I've deployed my first application at work but do I know the 'right' way to design, build, & deploy an application?  I figured out why the China sourced Robot had a ridiculously low FPS on its video stream, but then spent the next month going down the rabbit hole of 0MQ, socket connections, and openCV......  Seriously in awe of the contributions of so many, and am looking forward to a bit of quid pro quo....hopefully helping some others on easy problems / open source projects, and getting a bit more guided assistance in exchange.

#6853 2020-05-22 07:46:09

evilrobotoverlord

Hi, I installed arch for the first time around 3 days ago. It has been kinda painful to use (because of my hardware, a lot of it is proprietary/not widespread) but I'm learning a lot of new stuff so I guess that kinda balances it out.

#6854 2020-05-22 14:47:56

MatQ07

Hi everybody !

I'm using ArchLinux for few months for now, mainly on French forums but I'm sure I'll enjoy beeing on english one ttributing :)oo !

Thanks fort this great distro to all the team contributing smile !

Laptop [wiki]Acer Swift 5[/wiki] 515-51T - i5-8265U + UHD Graphics 620 - 8Go DDR4 + SSD 256Go PCIe (Win 10 + EFI) + SSD 1To NVMe (Arch Linux)
Bootloader : [pkg]grub[/pkg]2 ArchLinux + Windows 10 - [wiki]Kernel[/wiki] (usual) : linux + linux-lts + linux-zen - [wiki]Xorg[/wiki] - [wiki]LightDM[/wiki] - [wiki]Xfce[/wiki]4

#6855 2020-05-23 12:13:40

Alarg

Hi everyone!

I'm learning Arch because I got infuriated over Windows Features issues (I don't really want to know the reason why my router's radio changed the channel when I wanted to connect to a network printer).
Also, I'd like to make a "smart car" using Raspberry Pi, so Kodi on Arch seems like a really reasonable choice. I'll maybe post when I finish it.

Thank you for this artwork!

#6856 2020-05-23 13:19:49

loubi

Hi everyone, and welcome to new noobies just like me !

Trying Arch for the first time on a recent computer with an Nvidia card, what can possibly go wrong ? Everything for sure ahah.

I am a web developper who recently heard about suckless and stuff, and I'm trying to migrate my workflow from a fully bloated one (Ubuntu, Vscode and Tilix mainly) to a more minimalist one (Arch with dwm, Neovim and ST), in the hope of being more productive learning all (or almost) and gain some ressources and reactivity in my environment.

Here firstly to ask help, but I hope I will one day be usefull to help other as well !

Regards from France !

#6857 2020-05-24 15:48:50

pax_42

Hi everyone,

I have been using Linux for the past two years. I wanted to install Arch Linux just for the pride of it but ended up learning a ton about how many things really work in Linux.

Thank you very much for the community around Arch.
Hoping to learn more and possibly contribute back to the community.

To Live, to Love, to Learn and to Leave a Legacy Behind.

Board footer