You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-01 16:12:37

frank_einstien

kde install fails: library error

Hi

I did a pacman -S kde and chose to install all but accblty,network,sdk. I left it for nine hours ( for slow speeds over here). Then it had to interrupt and I ran the command again. This time it downloaded the rest from current.

It then procedded with fixesproto, libfixes, xorg-server 1.1.1,mesa expat, dbus, avahi, muzicbrainz upgrade forom testing ( horrors, I just enabled this repository)

The errors
checking package integrity   done
loading package data   done
error following file conflict were found:

libstdc++5:usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: exists in filesystem
libstdc++5:/usr/lib/libstdc++.s0.5.0.7: exists in filesystem

wrrors occured no upgraded

Dont know why this happened, could you help

Thanks

Serial ignoramus- a day of experience 365 times.

#2 2006-09-02 02:18:42

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: kde install fails: library error

Did you do a 'pacman -Syu' after installing Arch? What version of glibc is on your system?

#3 2006-09-02 04:36:26

frank_einstien

Hi

glibc is 2.3.6-3

Dont remember if I did a pacman -Syu. But running it offers to upgrade glibc to 2.4-2. The total download is 107.9 mb which will take  another three hours * banging head*.

Doing pacman -S kde again now. New packages like mese, libgl are being downloaded. But the same error persists.

Do I have to upgrade only glibc or do I have to do a system upgrade?

Thanks

#4 2006-09-02 05:13:30

iphitus
Forum Fellow

No, you must update glibc.

If you dont have access to a fast connection anywhere, put simply, arch will be a pain to use and keep up to date.

James

#5 2006-09-02 05:23:55

frank_einstien

Hi

Just installed the updated glibc 2.4. It finished without hitches.

I tried installing kde again. But the same error persists. Could you reccommend (based on what you have on you system) which /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.* must I keep and which one must I mv (as a last measure?) or is there another method for fixing this problem?

And my connection is a 24 hr "broadband". In this part of the world, it could get real slow and so I download things at night. Its morning here right now ;-)

Thanks

#6 2006-09-02 13:52:48

jimbo-62

frank_einstien wrote:

Hi

Just installed the updated glibc 2.4. It finished without hitches.

I tried installing kde again. But the same error persists. Could you reccommend (based on what you have on you system) which /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.* must I keep and which one must I mv (as a last measure?) or is there another method for fixing this problem?

And my connection is a 24 hr "broadband". In this part of the world, it could get real slow and so I download things at night. Its morning here right now ;-)

Thanks

I had the same problem on an installation of 0.7.2. I just deleted the two files and KDE installed with no problems. BUT, later, I installed again from scratch. This time I did # pacman -Syu before any additional software installation, and I didn't get that error.

Good luck, jimbo

#7 2006-09-02 15:55:36

somairotevoli

pacman -Sf kde

-f, --force         force install, overwrite conflicting files

Board footer