You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-25 18:24:24

prismavoid08

Can't get Desktop Environments to Work in Arch VM

I installed Arch in virtualbox and wanted to run KDE on it. The first thing I did was

pacman -S plasma sddm

and select all options for download. When I rebooted, sddm loaded, but when I tried to get into KDE the screen went black. I decided to try GNOME instead to see if that would work, and that worked just fine using the GDM display manager. To test what the problem was, I tried KDE in GDM, and also installed LXQT, both of which didn't work. Even more confusing is when I tried GNOME using sddm, it didn't work.

TLDR: The only way I can get a DE working on Arch is with GNOME and GDM

#2 2020-05-26 18:28:42

Lone_Wolf

Re: Can't get Desktop Environments to Work in Arch VM

The only way I can get a DE Display Manager   working on Arch is  with GNOME and GDM

There are lots of possibilities why that can go wrong, but the simplest way to troubleshoot starting X issues is testing without any DM.

Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit (make sure to follow the links on top right also)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-05-26 20:50:18

Lizzi

You should read the wiki for sddm.  i installed lightdm and to get it running correctly i had to adjust a config file that was located in the /etc/lightdm directory.  Likely sddm has similar needs.  Also if you want autologin there are group permissions that need set as well.

Last edited by Lizzi (2020-05-26 21:14:29)

BTW, I also use arch, gentoo, artix & manjaro

#4 2020-05-27 07:45:49

d_fajardo

prismavoid08 wrote:

I tried to get into KDE the screen went black. I decided to try GNOME instead to see if that would work, and that worked just fine using the GDM display manager.

Is your KDE setup properly? Are you able to startx with KDE?

Last edited by d_fajardo (2020-05-27 07:46:15)

Board footer