You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-29 22:14:26

luthis

SOLVED Graphical artifacts after using unity hub

I'll post an update with a photo of the issue.

Here's the best text description:
The screen will flash with distorted/artifacted versions of the text on screen. in the screenshot I will link to, you can make out some of the words.

http://imgur.com/gallery/AJab5F3

I was using unity hub and after running a game, I started to get some odd flashes on the screen. I restarted, and still same. I manually start xinit after boot, so next boot I notice it's occurring before even running xinit (I had to press enter a bunch of times so there was enough text on the screen to see the artifacts)
It does not happen on boot, only after Arch loads.

So I removed unity hub and the Nvidia drivers, and it's still occurring.

I don't know what could have caused this, but I believe if I revert all the graphics side back to fresh install with fresh configs, it will resolve it.

But after removing the Nvidia etc, I'm not sure where to go from here. I tried re-installing Mesa with pacman, but no luck.

Could I arch chroot my / and go from there with the installation instructions?

Thanks

Last edited by luthis (2020-05-29 22:42:48)

#2 2020-05-29 22:32:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: SOLVED Graphical artifacts after using unity hub

You haven't told us anything about your graphics stack...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-05-29 22:42:13

luthis

Re: SOLVED Graphical artifacts after using unity hub

Dam.

I booted up again to get more info, and now I can't reproduce the problem. It's back to normal.

For future reference, I did reinstall mesa, removed nvidia and nvidia-utils, and left the PC off for a few minutes.

I just re-installed nvidia and utils, and entered xinit. no artifacts to be seen.

EDIT: It wasn't solved, the screen started flickering and artifacting again hard out.

Turns out, the issue was that I had taken away one screen and just connected my other screen to the same HDMI port.

They had different refresh rates apparently.

When the screen went wack, I xrandr'ed the size to 1024x768 because things were hard to see, and it suddenly came right.

specifying the rate *actually* resolved the issue.

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --mode 1680x1050 --rate 59.88

Last edited by luthis (2020-05-30 07:24:11)

Board footer