You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-31 12:43:42

Nudin

getrid – tool to easier clean up your packages

After using Arch for more than a decade without whipping the disk and getting a fresh installation, my system contained thousands of packages and the root partition used nearly 100 GB of space. A huge number of these packages aren't needed anymore and I should get rid of them. But finding those, is cumbersome.

Therefore, I wrote a small tool, that lists all uninstallable packages sorted by the amount of space that gets freed when uninstalling them. One can navigate through the list interactively and mark which packages should be uninstalled and which should be keep "forever" or "for now". When starting the tool later again, it remembered the packages you want to keep and hides them so that you can continue where you stopped the triage the last time.

I thought it might be handy for others too, so here it is on Github and there's a PKGBUILD in the AUR.

Happy Hacking,
Nudin

#2 2020-05-31 22:36:39

d_fajardo

Re: getrid – tool to easier clean up your packages

I use pacreport that does something like this in similar way. What I like about pacreport is that it also lists packages you don't explicitly need but are dependencies of other packages.
My question is how does this tool handle dependencies?

#3 2020-06-01 00:56:34

Nudin

Re: getrid – tool to easier clean up your packages

Why would you want to list packages that you can't uninstall since they are dependencies for other packages? In getrid they are explicitly not shown, but their size is added to the 'parent' if it's the only parent. Therefore, the list shows how much disk space is freed when uninstalling a package. But I havn't implemented this but import the graph from pacgraph.

Board footer