You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-02 18:22:15

tomfitzyuk

E-Mail Setup

Hey,

I'm thinking of changing my email account to something more secure and lasting. I don't want to rely on an email provider such as Google for two reasons:

1. They could quit GMail or my account at any time and if I had to switch, it'd be inconvenient to tell everybody my email address had changed.

2. They could read my email. Of course I can have friends encrypt really sensitive information but not all sensitive information I get is encrypted (for example, "Your new account at blahblahblah.com has been created. Your password is: jfkjfkjkv"). I could delete it but who knows whether it's actually deleted or not.

Now, I could setup a mail server on my computer but my power supply and internet connection aren't stable enough (though I'm going university in a month, maybe theirs will be).

I could rent a server somewhere but even then, my data may not be secure.

Do email forwarders (like bigfoot.com) save your email? Or does it depend on the provider?

How do you think I should deal with email?

Tom

No. 1 solution: Buy a domain which will forward email to an email provider (such as GMail) until I have the resources to have my own mail server. This way, once I have my domain email addresses set up, I needn't ever change my email address (assuming I can keep buying the domain).

#2 2006-09-02 23:01:58

codemac
Website

Re: E-Mail Setup

I personally just use forwarding with GoDaddy.  They even helped me set it up correctly over the phone.

+1 GoDaddy.

#3 2006-09-03 00:29:58

tomfitzyuk

Re: E-Mail Setup

I'm from the UK so the telephone support may not be available to me (in fact, having briefly checked, it seems not to be).

I may just get a domain (only ~£3/yr incl. VAT), forwarding mailing lists to a G-Mail account and the rest to my inbox, both of which have be downloaded through POP3.

If the domain name provider doesn't provide an SMTP server, I can use my ISPs.

Generally, would a university mind if you powered 3 computers (workstation, gateway, server)? I'll have to ask them.

Board footer