You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-07 03:53:06

ffilho

[SOLVED] Help understanding Xorg most common log messages

Hey there,

I could really use a little help on some recurring questions about Xorg. But first I need to clarify that my main focus is to learn about how Xorg works along NVIDIA driver. And, of course, before one makes a point about what I'll be asking, yeah, I'm aware that this messages are purely warnings and do not points to any issue on my system.

That said, I'm pretty sure that you guys have seen this messages quite a lot:

(WW) Failed to open protocol names file lib/xorg/protocol.txt
(WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
(WW) NVIDIA: Failed to bind sideband socket to
(WW) NVIDIA:     '/var/run/nvidia-xdriver-af22d40e' Permission denied

My main question is: which part of Xorg generates this kind of messages?

As far I know, the protocol names  warning is related with running X with a non-root user. I also tried a lot of Google about "VGA arbiter" and "sideband socket" on /var/run, specially for "nvidia-xdrive-*" files. I didn't find nothing that could me point in a nice direction. Then I read a kernel article about VGA Arbiter but I can't figure out how it works.

I just moved to Arch to be DIY as I can, that's the reason to opening this thread. I also searched the foruns, but people are often inclined to solve rather than learning, and that's not my point.

If someone can point me in the right direction to better address this matter, I'll be grateful.

Thanks,

ff

PS: I've made my best trying to understand VGA arbiter and sideband socket by myself, but I can't go no further. If any rule were broken by my question (after reading this forum guidelines I don't think so, but) please let me know and I'll get rid of this post ASAP.

Last edited by ffilho (2020-06-21 23:12:17)

#2 2020-06-07 10:36:43

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Help understanding Xorg most common log messages

I'd say all of these are related to not running xorg as root. (I at least don't get any of them if I do so).

The first message seems like a xorg bug because it should look at /lib/xorg/protocol.txt but maybe that was done intentionally as an easy way to not rely on a system wide file for a user xorg. From what I'm seeing this just lists the protocol extensions the xorg server shall expose. You could change this if you wanted more control on what's allowed in xorg and what isn't.

I only find sideband in relation to AGP so it might not be really relevant on pci-e based systems (the reason the warning message happens is pretty simple, it wants to create that socket file, but can't as it tries to do so in a root owned directory). VGA arbiter is for when you have multiple video cards and needing to ensure their resources don't overlap, afaik also only really relevant in legacy usecases.

You probably shouldn't worry too much about any of these if you don't see any issues during normal usage.

#3 2020-06-07 21:10:37

ffilho

V1del wrote:

I'd say all of these are related to not running xorg as root. (I at least don't get any of them if I do so).

The first message seems like a xorg bug because it should look at /lib/xorg/protocol.txt but maybe that was done intentionally as an easy way to not rely on a system wide file for a user xorg. From what I'm seeing this just lists the protocol extensions the xorg server shall expose. You could change this if you wanted more control on what's allowed in xorg and what isn't.

I only find sideband in relation to AGP so it might not be really relevant on pci-e based systems (the reason the warning message happens is pretty simple, it wants to create that socket file, but can't as it tries to do so in a root owned directory). VGA arbiter is for when you have multiple video cards and needing to ensure their resources don't overlap, afaik also only really relevant in legacy usecases.

You probably shouldn't worry too much about any of these if you don't see any issues during normal usage.

Hi V1del, thanks for your reply.

About the very first message same here. It don't resolve by running Xorg over root accounts and my/lib/xorg/protocol.txt file seems to be identical as yours. It really could be a Xorg bug as you suggest, since the file is present, well-formed and readable. Weird, isn't?

About the other messages, while testing using root account "VGA arbiter" and "sideband socket" warnings seems to resolve. My guess is that some process inside Xorg tries to write (sideband socket) or read (VGA arbiter module) some resources that aren't allowed to normal users.
One interesting fact about those messages is that they only appeared after installing NVIDIA Proprietary Driver. This warning seems to don't exist on Nouveau or Intel Graphics Cards (tested on my laptop).

Do you know if there's a way to debug Xorg, like using gdb? Idk.

And I know I'm overreacting on this warning messages, but it's not a matter of get things working. I do really want to learn more.

Thanks again!

ff

Last edited by ffilho (2020-06-07 22:26:26)

#4 2020-06-08 08:57:31

V1del
Forum Moderator

Well technically they are quite well defined behaviors if  it would crash or behave weirdly that's something to debug. I'd assume nvidia didn't do all that much testing with a rootless xorg. Your best bet if you want actual clarity on what the impact of this is would make a post on the NVIDIA linux boards the developers will often be around and answer questions there.

FWIW I incidentally stumbled on this post mentioning the sideband socket and a config option you could set to ensure the socket is created into an user-writeable directory.

#5 2020-06-08 19:01:33

ffilho

Thanks for that clue. That forum took me to this manual, and the info that I was looking for is on its Appendix B. For future readers, note this is related with release 440.31 (I'm currently running 440.82 which also has the same options, as shown here).

For clarification, the sideband socket file is used to "to pass information to other driver components. If unable to connect to this socket, some driver features, such as G-Sync, may not work correctly." as shown on NVIDIA Driver Readme, Appendix B.

Basically, to bind a socket file in other place than /var/run, you must specify its path on your xorg.conf file, using "Option "SidebandSocketPath" "string"".

By following this tip on StackExchange is possible to create a regular user accessible directory within /var/run, which could be configured in xorg.conf to be used during Xorg start with Nvidia drivers.

That's my approach:

a. Created a /var/run/nvidia-xdriver directory only to store sideband socket files from Nvidia driver and made it writable to "users' group. I don't see any security implications over this, since it's only a socket file to a video driver, but I could be wrong - if so let me know.

drwxrwx---  2 root users   40 jun  8 13:47 nvidia-xdriver

b. By reading Xorg docs on xorg.conf I've decided to add "SidebandSocketPath" to my xorg.conf as part of my Device section, as follows:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "SidebandSocketPath" "/var/run/nvidia-xdriver/"
EndSection

And that's it: no more sideband socket warning message, socket file created by users and also root.

Next step is to seek for VGA Arbiter "solution". I don't see how it could raise a warning if I didn't asked for this option.

Thanks one more time, V1del.

#6 2020-06-09 01:48:34

ffilho

I found out what is causing the "Failed to open protocol names file lib/xorg/protocol.txt" warning message.

To solve that, I cloned freedesktop/xorg-xserver repo and grep it for some issue-related strings. I ended up finding "/dix/registry.c", followed by "/configure.ac" files. While investigating the second one, I did found a SERVER_MISC_CONFIG_PATH variable, in a specific code line:

SERVER_MISC_CONFIG_PATH, SERVERCONFIG, [Server miscellaneous config path]

After Googling it, this xorg server gitlab post went out, pointing for the same conclusions that I've raised: wrong absolute path to protocols.txt file. As discussed, it's seems to be solved while patching up a Meson build system isse.

Is nice to say that the proposed patch don't solve the protocols.txt warning, since my Xorg Server is already patched and it still pops-out:

./meson.build:652:serverconfigdir = join_paths(get_option('prefix'), get_option('libdir'), 'xorg')

I don't really know if there's some side-effect by not loading this file during Xorg start but despites the warning, my system seems to work properly (I'm not using a complex DE until now, only poking aroung with twm).

Is that worth to open a thread on Xorg gitlab to describe this issue?

If someone has a clue about what could cause "VGA Arbiter" warning messages, I'll be grateful. I just end up with some kernel docs and some non-related references to xf86VGAArbiter.

Thanks!

#7 2020-06-09 17:09:59

ffilho

I figured out that /var/run is actually a symlink to /run, which is a tempfs, being my previous approach for sideband socket file ineffective after a reboot.
To solve this I tried a systemd unit file on /etc/systemd/system/nvidia-xdriver-helper.service, as follows:

[Unit]
Description=Rootless Xorg helper for NVIDIA Driver sideband socket files 

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RuntimeDirectory=nvidia-xdriver
RuntimeDirectoryMode=770
User=root
Group=users
ExecStart=/bin/true
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I've started it, tested with file creation and finally enabled it. No related warning message were displayed.
I also did a serch over journalctl to found that nvidia-xdriver-helper.service runs during mid boot stages. Given that, is necessary to check if the directory will be available for Xorg/NVIDIA to use during start phase.

I'll move forward to DE/KDE installation. I'm also keep posting if I can figure anything more about this warnings.

#8 2020-06-09 18:10:17

V1del
Forum Moderator

multi-user.target is guaranteed to run before you are in a graphical session. So from that aspect you should always hit the mark. Technically systemd has a more tailored mechanism for that in systemd-tmpfiles  (that's incidentally also the way /var/run and /run is initially created), you might want to read the man pages of systemd-tmpfiles, tmpfiles.d and look at the existing examples in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d your service as a tmpfiles.d rule would be

d /run/nvidia-xdriver 0770 root users

#9 2020-06-10 01:40:07

ffilho

V1del wrote:

multi-user.target is guaranteed to run before you are in a graphical session. So from that aspect you should always hit the mark. Technically systemd has a more tailored mechanism for that in systemd-tmpfiles  (that's incidentally also the way /var/run and /run is initially created), you might want to read the man pages of systemd-tmpfiles, tmpfiles.d and look at the existing examples in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d your service as a tmpfiles.d rule would be

d /run/nvidia-xdriver 0770 root users

You nail it. I've just changed from unit file to tmpfiles.d and it work like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

About the protocol.txt file, do you think is worth to open a issue on Xorg backlog?

I don't know if is nice to have this post open, since I may take a little to appear with some news about remaining warnings, but in other hand I'm learning a ton of interesting things poking around it.

Any problem if I opt to leave it open to keep posting my advance on this issues?

#10 2020-06-10 01:53:49

loqs

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse … issues/853 the fix is in master but not 1.20.8,  I have not tested if it does resolve the issue.

#11 2020-06-10 12:02:44

adamss

just wanted to say that I appreciate the existence of this post and all the research
I will definitely look into all that
it will be fun

#12 2020-06-10 13:13:37

Slithery
Administrator

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#13 2020-06-10 17:35:58

ffilho

loqs wrote:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse … issues/853 the fix is in master but not 1.20.8,  I have not tested if it does resolve the issue.

Hi loqs! That's just the issue that I've mentioned above. I've the patched file in my system and the warning related to protocols.txt persists.

#14 2020-06-10 17:47:03

ffilho

Another quick update in this matter:

I noticed that tty log is slightly different from that present on Xorg.0.log. While in tty I have the issues related with bus/dbus I can't find it or either any related entry on my Xorg.0.log:

tty

X.Org X Server 1.20.8
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
Current Operating System: Linux misfit 5.6.14-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 20 May 2020 20:43:19 +0000 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/volgrp-root rw cryptdevice=UUID=fcb74971-6bea-4d49-a1eb-aae4fca1dba8:cryptlvm:allow-discards cryptkey=rootfs:/root/cryptlvm.keyfile loglevel=3 iommu=pt earlyprintk=efi,keep log_buf_len=16M fbcon=scrollback:1600k nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off nvidia-drm.modeset=1 rhgb apparmor=1 lsm=lockdown,yama,apparmor
Build Date: 05 May 2020  05:08:17AM

Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jun 10 14:29:45 2020
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus: Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Xorg.0.log

[   115.748] (WW) Failed to open protocol names file lib/xorg/protocol.txt
[   115.748] 
X.Org X Server 1.20.8
[   115.748] Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
[   115.748] Current Operating System: Linux misfit 5.6.14-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 20 May 2020 20:43:19 +0000 x86_64
[   115.748] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/volgrp-root rw cryptdevice=UUID=fcb74971-6bea-4d49-a1eb-aae4fca1dba8:cryptlvm:allow-discards cryptkey=rootfs:/root/cryptlvm.keyfile loglevel=3 iommu=pt earlyprintk=efi,keep log_buf_len=16M fbcon=scrollback:1600k nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off nvidia-drm.modeset=1 rhgb apparmor=1 lsm=lockdown,yama,apparmor
[   115.748] Build Date: 05 May 2020  05:08:17AM
[   115.748]  
[   115.748] Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
[   115.748] 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
[   115.748] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   115.748] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jun 10 14:29:45 2020
[   115.751] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[   115.751] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[   115.753] (==) ServerLayout "Layout0"
[   115.753] (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
[   115.753] (**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
[   115.754] (**) |   |-->Device "Device0"
[   115.754] (**) Option "DontZap" "False"
[   115.754] (==) Automatically adding devices
[   115.754] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[   115.754] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[   115.754] (==) Automatically binding GPU devices
[   115.754] (==) Max clients allowed: 256, resource mask: 0x1fffff
[   115.761] (==) FontPath set to:
	/usr/share/fonts/misc,
	/usr/share/fonts/TTF,
	/usr/share/fonts/OTF,
	/usr/share/fonts/Type1,
	/usr/share/fonts/100dpi,
	/usr/share/fonts/75dpi
[   115.761] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[   115.761] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
	If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[   115.761] (II) Module ABI versions:
[   115.761] 	X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[   115.761] 	X.Org Video Driver: 24.1
[   115.761] 	X.Org XInput driver : 24.1
[   115.761] 	X.Org Server Extension : 10.0
[   115.762] (--) using VT number 2

[   115.762] (II) systemd-logind: logind integration requires -keeptty and -keeptty was not provided, disabling logind integration
[   115.762] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[   115.765] (**) OutputClass "nvidia" ModulePath extended to "/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg,/usr/lib/xorg/modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[   115.767] (--) PCI:*(1@0:0:0) 10de:1c81:10de:11c0 rev 161, Mem @ 0xfd000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/268435456, 0xd0000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x0000e000/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
[   115.767] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
[   115.767] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[   115.771] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[   115.790] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   115.790] 	compiled for 1.20.8, module version = 1.0.0
[   115.790] 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 10.0
[   115.790] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[   115.791] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[   115.805] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[   115.806] 	compiled for 1.6.99.901, module version = 1.0.0
[   115.806] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[   115.808] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  440.82  Wed Apr  1 19:50:17 UTC 2020
[   115.808] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
[   115.815] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[   115.815] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[   115.815] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[   115.817] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   115.817] 	compiled for 1.20.8, module version = 1.0.0
[   115.817] 	ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[   115.817] (II) Loading sub module "wfb"
[   115.817] (II) LoadModule: "wfb"
[   115.817] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
[   115.819] (II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   115.819] 	compiled for 1.20.8, module version = 1.0.0
[   115.819] 	ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[   115.819] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
[   115.819] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
[   115.819] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
[   115.822] (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[   115.822] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
[   115.822] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[   115.822] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[   115.823] (II) Applying OutputClass "nvidia" options to /dev/dri/card0
[   115.823] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
[   115.823] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "SidebandSocketPath" "/var/run/nvidia-xdriver"
[   115.823] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
[   115.823] (II) Loading sub module "glxserver_nvidia"
[   115.823] (II) LoadModule: "glxserver_nvidia"
[   115.823] (II) Loading /usr/lib/nvidia/xorg/libglxserver_nvidia.so
[   115.939] (II) Module glxserver_nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[   115.939] 	compiled for 1.6.99.901, module version = 1.0.0
[   115.939] 	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[   115.941] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  440.82  Wed Apr  1 19:47:36 UTC 2020
[   115.945] (II) NVIDIA: The X server supports PRIME Render Offload.
[   115.947] (--) NVIDIA(0): Valid display device(s) on GPU-0 at PCI:1:0:0
[   115.947] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-0
[   115.947] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-1 (boot)
[   115.947] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-2
[   115.947] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-3
[   115.948] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTX 1050 (GP107-A) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
[   115.948] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 2097152 kBytes
[   115.948] (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 86.07.39.00.d5
[   115.948] (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
[   115.949] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-0: disconnected
[   115.949] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-0: Internal TMDS
[   115.949] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-0: 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   115.949] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): 
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): LG Electronics LG ULTRAWIDE (DFP-1): connected
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): LG Electronics LG ULTRAWIDE (DFP-1): Internal TMDS
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): LG Electronics LG ULTRAWIDE (DFP-1): 600.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): 
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: disconnected
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: Internal DisplayPort
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: 1440.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: disconnected
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: Internal TMDS
[   115.979] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: 165.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   115.985] (==) NVIDIA(0): 
[   115.985] (==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
[   115.985] (==) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
[   115.985] (==) NVIDIA(0): 
[   115.986] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
[   115.986] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "DFP-1:nvidia-auto-select"
[   115.986] (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 2560 x 1080
[   115.994] (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (97, 97); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
[   115.994] (--) NVIDIA(0):     option
[   115.995] (II) NVIDIA: Using 24576.00 MB of virtual memory for indirect memory
[   115.995] (II) NVIDIA:     access.
[   116.047] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DFP-1:nvidia-auto-select"
[   116.090] (==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling shared memory pixmaps
[   116.090] (==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store enabled
[   116.090] (==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse disabled
[   116.091] (**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
[   116.091] (II) Loading sub module "dri2"
[   116.091] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[   116.091] (II) Module "dri2" already built-in
[   116.091] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[   116.091] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: nvidia
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension Generic Event Extension
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension SHAPE
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SHM
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XInputExtension
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XTEST
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension BIG-REQUESTS
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension SYNC
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XKEYBOARD
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XC-MISC
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension SECURITY
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XFIXES
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension RENDER
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension RANDR
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension COMPOSITE
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension DAMAGE
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension RECORD
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension DPMS
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension Present
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension DRI3
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension X-Resource
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XVideo
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension GLX
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension GLX
[   116.093] (II) Indirect GLX disabled.
[   116.093] (II) GLX: Another vendor is already registered for screen 0
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DGA
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DRI
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension DRI2
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension NV-GLX
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension NV-CONTROL
[   116.093] (II) Initializing extension XINERAMA
[   116.262] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event1)
[   116.262] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[   116.262] (II) LoadModule: "libinput"
[   116.291] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so
[   116.301] (II) Module libinput: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   116.301] 	compiled for 1.20.8, module version = 0.30.0
[   116.302] 	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[   116.302] 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 24.1
[   116.302] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[   116.302] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[   116.302] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
[   116.302] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[   116.312] (II) event1  - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[   116.312] (II) event1  - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[   116.312] (II) event1  - Power Button: device removed
[   116.330] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1/event1"
[   116.331] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 6)
[   116.331] (II) event1  - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[   116.332] (II) event1  - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[   116.332] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event0)
[   116.332] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[   116.332] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[   116.332] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[   116.332] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
[   116.332] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[   116.333] (II) event0  - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[   116.333] (II) event0  - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[   116.333] (II) event0  - Power Button: device removed
[   116.357] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0/event0"
[   116.357] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
[   116.360] (II) event0  - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[   116.360] (II) event0  - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[   116.362] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3 (/dev/input/event10)
[   116.362] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.362] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.363] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7 (/dev/input/event11)
[   116.363] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.363] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.364] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8 (/dev/input/event12)
[   116.364] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.364] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.364] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=9 (/dev/input/event13)
[   116.364] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.364] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.365] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=10 (/dev/input/event14)
[   116.365] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.365] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.365] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=11 (/dev/input/event15)
[   116.365] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.365] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.365] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard (/dev/input/event2)
[   116.365] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[   116.365] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard'
[   116.366] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard: always reports core events
[   116.366] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
[   116.366] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[   116.367] (II) event2  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[   116.367] (II) event2  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard: device is a keyboard
[   116.367] (II) event2  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard: device removed
[   116.397] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.0/usb7/7-4/7-4:1.0/0003:1B1C:1B3D.0001/input/input2/event2"
[   116.397] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD, id 8)
[   116.399] (II) event2  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[   116.399] (II) event2  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard: device is a keyboard
[   116.400] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control (/dev/input/event3)
[   116.400] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[   116.400] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control'
[   116.400] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: always reports core events
[   116.400] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
[   116.400] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[   116.401] (II) event3  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[   116.401] (II) event3  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: device is a keyboard
[   116.401] (II) event3  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: device removed
[   116.437] (II) libinput: Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: needs a virtual subdevice
[   116.437] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.0/usb7/7-4/7-4:1.0/0003:1B1C:1B3D.0001/input/input3/event3"
[   116.437] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control" (type: MOUSE, id 9)
[   116.438] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[   116.438] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[   116.438] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[   116.438] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[   116.442] (II) event3  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[   116.442] (II) event3  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: device is a keyboard
[   116.444] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard (/dev/input/event4)
[   116.444] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.444] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.445] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard (/dev/input/event5)
[   116.445] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.445] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.445] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse (/dev/input/event6)
[   116.445] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: Applying InputClass "libinput pointer catchall"
[   116.445] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse'
[   116.445] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: always reports core events
[   116.445] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
[   116.445] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[   116.447] (II) event6  - Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: is tagged by udev as: Mouse
[   116.447] (II) event6  - Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: device is a pointer
[   116.447] (II) event6  - Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: device removed
[   116.490] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.0/usb7/7-5/7-5:1.0/0003:1B1C:1B3C.0003/input/input6/event6"
[   116.491] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse" (type: MOUSE, id 10)
[   116.491] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[   116.491] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[   116.491] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[   116.491] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[   116.495] (II) event6  - Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: is tagged by udev as: Mouse
[   116.495] (II) event6  - Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: device is a pointer
[   116.497] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse (/dev/input/js0)
[   116.497] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.498] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.499] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
[   116.499] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.499] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.501] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse (/dev/input/event7)
[   116.501] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.501] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.502] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse (/dev/input/event8)
[   116.502] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.502] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.503] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Front Mic (/dev/input/event16)
[   116.503] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.503] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.504] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Rear Mic (/dev/input/event17)
[   116.504] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.504] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.504] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Line (/dev/input/event18)
[   116.504] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.504] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.505] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Line Out Front (/dev/input/event19)
[   116.505] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.505] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.505] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Line Out Surround (/dev/input/event20)
[   116.505] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Line Out CLFE (/dev/input/event21)
[   116.506] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Line Out Side (/dev/input/event22)
[   116.506] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   116.506] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[   116.506] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Front Headphone (/dev/input/event23)
[   116.506] (II) config/udev: Adding input device PC Speaker (/dev/input/event9)
[   116.510] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[   116.510] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control'
[   116.510] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: always reports core events
[   116.510] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
[   116.510] (**) Option "_source" "_driver/libinput"
[   116.510] (II) libinput: Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: is a virtual subdevice
[   116.510] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.0/usb7/7-4/7-4:1.0/0003:1B1C:1B3D.0001/input/input3/event3"
[   116.510] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control" (type: KEYBOARD, id 11)
[   116.566] (II) event1  - Power Button: device removed
[   116.584] (II) event0  - Power Button: device removed
[   116.611] (II) event2  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard: device removed
[   116.651] (II) event6  - Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse: device removed
[   116.704] (II) event3  - Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard Consumer Control: device removed
[   116.738] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[   116.739] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[   116.739] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[   116.871] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Deleting GPU-0
[   116.880] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

The scenario os the same for regular users and root.
Btw, the connection with X server is suddenly lost because I don't have twm or any other X application on my xnitrc anymore. I opt to remove it to proceed to KDE install.

#15 2020-06-10 19:52:42

loqs

Can you do a crosscheck please:

grep '/usr/lib/xorg/protocol.txt' /usr/lib/Xorg

No output with xorg-server-1.20.8-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst from extra

Binary file /usr/lib/Xorg matches

With the patched version.

#16 2020-06-11 03:36:54

ffilho

loqs wrote:

Can you do a crosscheck please:

No output with xorg-server-1.20.8-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst from extra

With the patched version.

Sure I can! And, by the way, what a nice approach... I'm used to run strings against a binary to check what it gets, but that's the first time that I grepped a specific string within a binary. I'll take note of that 'cause you literally taught me something here.

Here's the results:

[misfit X11]# grep '/usr/lib/xorg/protocol.txt' /usr/lib/Xorg
[misfit X11]# Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.20.8
Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
Current Operating System: Linux misfit 5.6.14-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 20 May 2020 20:43:19 +0000 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/volgrp-root rw cryptdevice=UUID=fcb74971-6bea-4d49-a1eb-aae4fca1dba8:cryptlvm:allow-discards cryptkey=rootfs:/root/cryptlvm.keyfile loglevel=3 iommu=pt earlyprintk=efi,keep log_buf_len=16M fbcon=scrollback:1600k nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off nvidia-drm.modeset=1 rhgb apparmor=1 lsm=lockdown,yama,apparmor
Build Date: 05 May 2020  05:08:17AM

Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org

As you can see, there's no output at all for the grep command, meaning that I was wrong back then. I took the opportunity to check within my Xorg binary, to see how protocol.txt file is hardcoded there. There's the results:

^@X11^@lib/xorg/protocol.txt^@NONE^@WINDOW^@PIXMAP^@FONT^@CURSOR^@COLORMAP^@COLORMAP ENTRY^@OTHER CLIENT^@PASSIVE GRAB^@BUG: triggered 'if (!dev)'

Note that a first / is missing from the path. All other incidences of "protocol.txt" were simply output text for log messages.

What I can't understand is how it's possible, since my machine has been update two days ago. I'll take a LVM snapshot and try a full system update again. I'll report back back soon.

#17 2020-06-11 04:17:39

ffilho

After a pacman -Syu some packages were updated, but none was related with Xorg. Grepping for "/usr/lib/xorg/protocol.txt" still returning void. And yes, if anyone is wondering I was naive enough to try to change the string path in my Xorg binary. Of course it didn't work. So, if you're reading this in the future and are thinking about it, just don't.

Any ideas? If someone could assist me about how compile it by myself I could test the source directly from freedesktop. I'm only asking for guidance 'cause I don't believe that this process is something like a simple make && make install thing.

And thanks for helping me out on this. I'm really learning a lot during my researches and even more while talking to you guys. I should have taken Arch as daily driver ten years ago.

#18 2020-06-11 12:00:14

loqs

How did you patch Xorg?  I altered the PKGBUILD as below then rebuilt the package.

diff --git a/trunk/PKGBUILD b/trunk/PKGBUILD
index f4253bc..b84a7b3 100644
--- a/trunk/PKGBUILD
+++ b/trunk/PKGBUILD
@@ -21,7 +21,8 @@ source=(https://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/xserver/${pkgbase}-${pk
         0001-v2-FS-58644.patch
         0002-fix-libshadow-2.patch
         xvfb-run # with updates from FC master
-        xvfb-run.1)
+        xvfb-run.1
+        0839b0523a01067cb9c9b53ebdd9ce4c00f0eb12.diff)
 validpgpkeys=('7B27A3F1A6E18CD9588B4AE8310180050905E40C'
               'C383B778255613DFDB409D91DB221A6900000011'
               'DD38563A8A8224537D1F90E45B8A2D50A0ECD0D3'
@@ -33,7 +34,8 @@ sha512sums=('ab0ec0fcbf490c61558b9297f61b58fd2dedb676c78bef6431dc9166054743b43a0
             '74e1aa0c101e42f0f25349d305641873b3a79ab3b9bb2d4ed68ba8e392b4db2701fcbc35826531ee2667d3ee55673e4b4fecc2a9f088141af29ceb400f72f363'
             '3d3be34ad9fa976daec53573d3a30a9f1953341ba5ee27099af0141f0ef7994fa5cf84dc08aae848380e6abfc10879f9a67f07601c7a437abf8aef13a3ec9fe1'
             '73c8ead9fba6815dabfec0a55b3a53f01169f6f2d14ac4a431e53b2d96028672dbd6b50a3314568847b37b1e54ea4fc02bdf677feabb3b2697af55e2e5331810'
-            'de5e2cb3c6825e6cf1f07ca0d52423e17f34d70ec7935e9dd24be5fb9883bf1e03b50ff584931bd3b41095c510ab2aa44d2573fd5feaebdcb59363b65607ff22')
+            'de5e2cb3c6825e6cf1f07ca0d52423e17f34d70ec7935e9dd24be5fb9883bf1e03b50ff584931bd3b41095c510ab2aa44d2573fd5feaebdcb59363b65607ff22'
+            '2d1a21538edfea7f1e9daebb2f87bba7a878b2cb2c3a7ebaa72d916453fff18bd7722eef84727c48ff172236d0cb5560bd676c3f6bfa894c7f6aedec2e2fcf1a')

prepare() {
   cd "${pkgbase}-${pkgver}"
@@ -47,6 +49,7 @@ prepare() {

# Fix libshadow.so: libfb.so => not found - merge in master
   patch -Np1 -i ../0002-fix-libshadow-2.patch
+  patch -Np1 -i ../0839b0523a01067cb9c9b53ebdd9ce4c00f0eb12.diff
 }

build() {

If yours is the last post in a thread,  please edit that post rather than creating a new one.

#19 2020-06-11 18:26:58

ffilho

loqs wrote:

How did you patch Xorg?  I altered the PKGBUILD as below then rebuilt the package.

diff --git a/trunk/PKGBUILD b/trunk/PKGBUILD
index f4253bc..b84a7b3 100644
--- a/trunk/PKGBUILD
+++ b/trunk/PKGBUILD
@@ -21,7 +21,8 @@ source=(https://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/xserver/${pkgbase}-${pk
         0001-v2-FS-58644.patch
         0002-fix-libshadow-2.patch
         xvfb-run # with updates from FC master
-        xvfb-run.1)
+        xvfb-run.1
+        0839b0523a01067cb9c9b53ebdd9ce4c00f0eb12.diff)
 validpgpkeys=('7B27A3F1A6E18CD9588B4AE8310180050905E40C'
               'C383B778255613DFDB409D91DB221A6900000011'
               'DD38563A8A8224537D1F90E45B8A2D50A0ECD0D3'
@@ -33,7 +34,8 @@ sha512sums=('ab0ec0fcbf490c61558b9297f61b58fd2dedb676c78bef6431dc9166054743b43a0
             '74e1aa0c101e42f0f25349d305641873b3a79ab3b9bb2d4ed68ba8e392b4db2701fcbc35826531ee2667d3ee55673e4b4fecc2a9f088141af29ceb400f72f363'
             '3d3be34ad9fa976daec53573d3a30a9f1953341ba5ee27099af0141f0ef7994fa5cf84dc08aae848380e6abfc10879f9a67f07601c7a437abf8aef13a3ec9fe1'
             '73c8ead9fba6815dabfec0a55b3a53f01169f6f2d14ac4a431e53b2d96028672dbd6b50a3314568847b37b1e54ea4fc02bdf677feabb3b2697af55e2e5331810'
-            'de5e2cb3c6825e6cf1f07ca0d52423e17f34d70ec7935e9dd24be5fb9883bf1e03b50ff584931bd3b41095c510ab2aa44d2573fd5feaebdcb59363b65607ff22')
+            'de5e2cb3c6825e6cf1f07ca0d52423e17f34d70ec7935e9dd24be5fb9883bf1e03b50ff584931bd3b41095c510ab2aa44d2573fd5feaebdcb59363b65607ff22'
+            '2d1a21538edfea7f1e9daebb2f87bba7a878b2cb2c3a7ebaa72d916453fff18bd7722eef84727c48ff172236d0cb5560bd676c3f6bfa894c7f6aedec2e2fcf1a')

prepare() {
   cd "${pkgbase}-${pkgver}"
@@ -47,6 +49,7 @@ prepare() {

# Fix libshadow.so: libfb.so => not found - merge in master
   patch -Np1 -i ../0002-fix-libshadow-2.patch
+  patch -Np1 -i ../0839b0523a01067cb9c9b53ebdd9ce4c00f0eb12.diff
 }

build() {

If yours is the last post in a thread,  please edit that post rather than creating a new one.

Hi loqs,

I didn't patched my Xorg at all. What I did was check my current running version, download its sources from freedesktop and checked if it has the mentioned path in it. As I can see my approach was far from accurate since it's necessary to patch it manually. Newbie mistake, sorry.

I understand that PKGBUILD is a AUR resource file. Knowing that, I downloaded xorg-server-common-git from AUR to have myself a PKGBUILD to modify, but I don't know which will be the other sources to diff with it. I know this is a very very primary question, but I can really use some directions here because I'm quite lost in it.

About the last post, I don't mean to close this thread by now, because there's other messages that I would like to understand:

(WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus: Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead

Do you think it is possible to leave it open?

Thanks one more time for helping me out.

#20 2020-06-11 18:43:20

loqs

See Arch Build System to obtain the PKGBUILD used to build xorg-server.  Then Patching_packages#Applying_patches.  After you have edited the PKGBUILD to apply https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse … 0eb12.diff,   the diff to the original PKGBUILD should be similar to the one I posted.

I would start a separate thread for that message.  This could be caused by a broken user session.

#21 2020-06-14 00:04:53

ffilho

loqs wrote:

See Arch Build System to obtain the PKGBUILD used to build xorg-server.  Then Patching_packages#Applying_patches.  After you have edited the PKGBUILD to apply https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse … 0eb12.diff,   the diff to the original PKGBUILD should be similar to the one I posted.

I would start a separate thread for that message.  This could be caused by a broken user session.

Hi loqs!
Thanks for the guidelines! Now I have my xorg-server patched:

And it was way more easier than it looks while reading the articles. I did get one issue related to a missing PGP key and some other missing packages (xtrans, libxres, wayland-protocols and meson) but everything went cool after solving it.

Don't worry about those other errors that I mentioned. I'll open another thread for it.

One more thing: can I expect my patched xorg-server to be preserved on package update by following this topic, right? It also keeps this package in back-level since it won't be updated.
I'm wondering if is there a way to keep it both updated and patched while issuing pacman -Syu? I don't know, a hook maybe?

So, one message to go: VGA Arbiter. Can anyone help me understand that?

Last edited by ffilho (2020-06-14 02:53:58)

#22 2020-06-14 01:14:40

loqs

ffilho wrote:

One more thing: can I expect my patched xorg-server to be preserved on package update by following this topic, right?

Yes

ffilho wrote:

I'm wondering if is there a way to keep it both updated and patched while issuing pacman -Syu? I don't know, a hook maybe?

Not that I know of.

#23 2020-06-14 14:57:44

ffilho

loqs wrote:
ffilho wrote:

One more thing: can I expect my patched xorg-server to be preserved on package update by following this topic, right?

Yes

ffilho wrote:

Not that I know of.

Hi loqs!

As this is a newbie corner I would like to ask you: what is your personal approach to manage this kind of packages, keep tracking of patches, decide when to update and remember to apply patches again?

Thanks for your time and patience.

#24 2020-06-14 15:14:26

loqs

My approach is probably far from optimal but it works for my use case.
I checkout the updated PKGBUILD to a separate directory.  diff the directory against the local version using meld to update the local version.  Build a new package release in a clean chroot.  Install the updated packages.

Last edited by loqs (2020-06-14 15:14:54)

#25 2020-06-21 23:11:58

ffilho

I would like to thanks for you guys support in this matter. Since then I've KDE Desktop Environment flawless running, with no warnings or errors popping out on Xorg logs. I'll mark this topic as resolved.

Board footer