You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-27 13:58:23

err512

[SOLVED] Firefox scrolling to the bottom of the webpage

Hello.

Since some time firefox scrolls to the end of every webpage that is larger than one screen. Unfortunately I don't know the exact version number when it started, but I think it was in June.

After it has scrolled down, it's possible to scroll up again, and everything loads works fine again, until a reload or a loading of a new page.
It's mainly scrolling down, but also left to right scrolls that are present on a page are all executed. Scrolling starts after loading the page, as soon as the mouse is moved above the page.

What I have tried to do/observe so far to see if something helps:

* I tried installing Other versions of firefox: Nightly, the regular, developer version, and ESR all have this problem. All running the latest versions in pacman as of this writing.
* The problem occurs both with X11 and Wayland.
* No other application on the system has this problem, other browsers (opera, vivaldi, chromium) on this system work fine.
* Firefox on windows on the same machine with dual boot is working fine, ubuntu from a live USB stick also creates no problems.
* Scrolling even happens when the firefox window has no focus
* I tried different window managers: fluxbox, gnome, kde, xfce, all with the same effect.

I was hoping someone else recognizes this or that there would be a known bug but I have not been able to find anything.
I have no idea in what direction I can look to solve this issue.
Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by err512 (2019-08-28 19:25:19)

#2 2019-08-31 17:14:03

gnox

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox scrolling to the bottom of the webpage

in firefox preferences / general / browsing, "use autoscrolling" is enabled or disabled?

#3 2019-09-01 09:41:35

err512

Autoscrolling is off. I tried to disable every setting in about:config that has to do with scrolling, but no result. Clean profile with all the defaults has this issue too.

#4 2019-09-01 13:30:21

err512

Yes, I solved it, finally smile
The behavior was (inexplicably) caused by an universal access setting in gnome, namely the screen reader. I didn't know it was on, accidently stumbled upon it, turned it off, and solved my problem. Even stranger, the screen reader did not work at all; additionally it also influences firefox behavior in other window managers too.

Hope anyone who ever stumbles into this is helped by this information.

#5 2020-02-01 05:49:29

abhijithnraj

Disabling screen reader in universal access solved the auto scrolling problem for me also. Thanks for the solution.

Last edited by abhijithnraj (2020-02-01 05:50:02)

#6 2020-06-16 19:19:47

polylux

oh man, i was getting so frustrated with this already. that solved it for me too. also some seemingly dead keys work now again. cheers!

#7 2020-06-16 19:25:11

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Closing this old solved thread.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer