You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-26 17:31:28

MasterGeek.MX

Firefox custom search engines are reseted every time I do an upgrade

In my firefox installation I have a lot of custom search engines, both added by the option of adding the current website's search and by the ones provided by the microft project page.

But every time I do a pacman -Syu, restart the computer to load the new kernel and open up firefox, my search engines are deleted and I'm back with the default ones.

I traced back the file in which the search engines are stored:

~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile folder]/search.json.mozlz4

I have setted up an script to manually restorea a backup when it happens, but there should be no need for this in the first place.

I made a bow to not perpetrate the meme, so I don't RTMF people, and I don't even say the name of the distro unless I am asked direclty.

#2 2020-06-26 18:49:47

Awebb

Re: Firefox custom search engines are reseted every time I do an upgrade

Is the file simply gone or what happens to it? Maybe you could log it with inotify or something.

#3 2020-06-27 00:16:01

MasterGeek.MX

Awebb wrote:

Is the file simply gone or what happens to it? Maybe you could log it with inotify or something.

I'm talking asumptions here, but it seems that it is "reset". The file isn't gone, it's just resetted to the default config (bing, dukduckgo, google, mercadolibre mx, spanish wikipedia, any of them without keywords.)

I made a bow to not perpetrate the meme, so I don't RTMF people, and I don't even say the name of the distro unless I am asked direclty.

#4 2020-06-27 05:54:50

Awebb

Can you verify that it's the update, by manually installing firefox and checking the file?

#5 2020-06-28 02:27:52

MasterGeek.MX

I did a reinstall of firefox with pacman -S firefox and another run with pacman -S firefox-i18n-es-mx, while watching the file with inotify and nothing.

I may need to wait to the next update.

#6 2020-06-28 03:09:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Well it definitely cant be the update itself - packages don't touch anything in the home directory.  But firefox may check it's own version at startup and reset the file if the running version doesn't match the version that created the file.

In such a case, reinstalling the same version wouldn't replicate - as you have observed - but downgrading and running firefox again, then upgrading and re-running it again likely will.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2020-06-28 03:48:18

MasterGeek.MX

maybe. It can also be releated to that happening when I do a pacman -Syyu, becasue it wasn't replicated when I did a manual pacman -S.

I also have a laptop with Fedora and in ther I also had a similar issue some time ago (reason why I know which file has the search settings), but despite Fedora having a near-rolling update model, it does not happen that often.

#8 2020-07-17 01:54:00

MasterGeek.MX

Well, I have done some upgrades while I keep an eye on th search file with inotify, and nothing wrong has happened.

I think they are being kept in line by the fear hehe.

#9 2020-07-17 03:28:25

Awebb

MasterGeek.MX wrote:

It's a quantum effect. Your observation inactivated it.

#10 2020-07-18 09:07:56

Pillgar

Awebb wrote:
MasterGeek.MX wrote:

It's a quantum effect. Your observation inactivated it.

Love the double slit experiment.

Board footer