You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-21 06:45:33

xsilentmurmurx

Lenovo Thinkpad E460 Trackpad cursor and functionality is very quirky!

Hello all

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad E460 laptop running Archlinux with a  5.4.3-arch1-1 64 bit kernel. I am trying to get the touchpad/trackpad on the laptop to work properly. Whenever I try to use it, I experience the following issues:

1) If i try to scroll up a website by  clicking on the scroll bar on the right hand side of the website and scroll up using my finger, the cursor suddenly jumps to the bottom of the page and does not allow me to successfully scroll up. I have to manually use the arrow keys on my keyboard to scroll up a page.

2) If i try to left click on window and drag it to another area  on my screen, the cursor is very glitchy and does not smoothly drag the window to some area on my screen. Instead the window will jump back to its original location on the screen

3) When I right click on a link, it automatically opens in a new tab. Now if I was to right click on that tab it will automatically close it.

4) I cant make any adjustments to the volume properly when trying to increase the volume with the mouse cursor. But if i hook up a wireless mouse, all of these issues disappear when I use the wireless mouse. 

Any ideas on how I can fix this issue? Its driving me crazy!  Please let me know if there is any information that I need to provide to help with the troubleshooting

Thanks!!

#2 2019-12-21 23:32:21

xsilentmurmurx

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad E460 Trackpad cursor and functionality is very quirky!

interestingly , when I installed xf86-input-synaptics on my laptop, the touchpad started to behave more normally. It is still a bit sensitive which means I will have to tweak it a bit, but it seems to be acting more normal.  Does anyone know why that would be the case? I thought libinput was supposed to be driver that superceded synaptics?

Any insight anyone?

#3 2020-06-29 20:18:38

xsilentmurmurx

Really people? ZERO answers?

#4 2020-06-30 23:19:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

xsilentmurmurx wrote:

Really people? ZERO answers?

Thread contains ZERO information: no package versions, logs, journal, etc. Read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2020-06-30 23:24:01

xsilentmurmurx

Sure no problem.. Basically after I made the original post, I ended up installing the synaptics driver and now the trackpad is working "better"  than when I was using libinput.  My main question is why would a package which is not being actively maintained, perform better than the latest libinput package?    Any suggestions on which logs I should check out ?

#6 2020-06-30 23:33:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2020-07-01 09:34:34

V1del
Forum Moderator

Could also be a firmware issue, try to update your BIOS/UEFI or check there directly sometimes you can change between trackpad modes, maybe you have an option there.  Do you get messages in your xorg log regarding debouncing or so from libinput?

Board footer