You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-04 19:08:11

Thoth93

[SOLVED] xorg-fonts-alias-75dpi and xorg-fonts-alias are in conflict

Not sure what to do, going with the pacman default N doesn't seem to work and looking at
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256997 did not help and only made me more confused.
It says this problem is fixed yet that was on 2020-06-30 and I'm running into it today on 2020-07-04

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                        0.0   B  0.00   B/s 00:00 [-------->
 extra                                                                       0.0   B  0.00   B/s 00:00 [-------->
 community                                                                   0.0   B  0.00   B/s 00:00 [-------->
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace intel-tbb with extra/tbb? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: xorg-fonts-alias-75dpi and xorg-fonts-alias are in conflict. Remove xorg-fonts-alias? [y/N] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: xorg-fonts-alias-75dpi and xorg-fonts-alias are in conflict

I'm sure its something simple but I don't want to remove xorg-fonts-alias until I know that there's a replacement that will work
because xorg-fonts-alias is no longer available. Also hoping that this thread will help out some other people too.

I assume that all I need to do is remove xorg-fonts-alias and install xorg-fonts-alias-75dpi but I'm not so sure, the link I provide has this post
"Sorry if I missed something, but what was the fix to this? I uninstalled xorg-fonts-alias and installed xorg-fonts-alias-100dpi, and now xorg won't start."
This gives me doubt that xorg-fonts-alias-75dpi would work as I'm guessing that xorg-fonts-alias-100dpi is the same thing just a different size.
I have a very basic system with gnome and xfce4 and hardly any AUR pkgs.

Last edited by Thoth93 (2020-07-04 19:41:13)

#2 2020-07-04 19:22:30

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] xorg-fonts-alias-75dpi and xorg-fonts-alias are in conflict

Say yes, it simply has been logically split into relevant alias packages for the corresponding DPI sizes. install the relevant font alias for your DPI, or install all of them if you want the "same" level of functionality.

If you don't actively use an application that relies on xorg fonts you might even be able to just remove them.

Last edited by V1del (2020-07-04 19:26:37)

#3 2020-07-04 19:24:18

Thoth93

Thank You for your reply I will go try that right now.

#4 2020-07-04 19:48:48

Thoth93

V1del wrote:

Say yes, it simply has been logically split into relevant alias packages for the corresponding DPI sizes. install the relevant font alias for your DPI, or install all of them if you want the "same" level of functionality.

If you don't actively use an application that relies on xorg fonts you might even be able to just remove them.

Thanks this worked I was confused as some people were saying it was fixed others were saying it was still giving them problems.
Sense pacman was still defaulting to N I figured it had not been fixed yet but it seems it has been fixed on the back end its just
that pacman is still giving the wrong suggestion. I hope that this tiny thread can help others that are unsure of what to do.

#5 2020-07-05 12:17:25

Lone_Wolf

its just that pacman is still giving the wrong suggestion

Pacman informs you that it isn't sure what the correct action is and defaults to to not changing anything.
Pacman devs expects users to investigate the warning and decide what the correct action for their system is.

According to the rules pacman follows, setting Y as default in this case would be WRONG.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2020-07-05 12:17:45)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2020-07-05 16:12:16

eschwartz
Fellow

pacman is not going to blindly assume that you don't have exceptional reasons for preferring this package. They merely conflict -- neither one replaces the other. Therefore, it will not uninstall something that is impossible to restore.

You, the user, get to choose whether you have exceptional reasons for wanting this package (in which case press "n") or simply don't care and want the update to successfully replace packages on your system with a valid upgrade solution (in which case press "y").

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#7 2020-07-06 01:44:15

Thoth93

Both of these insights are definitely correct and well I agree that this is the best course of action for the given situation.
When I looked into what the error was about I found this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256997 which confused me as a user.
It would have been nice if they gave a heads up in the "Latest News" section.

Just wanted to be sure. Thanks again for the help.

Board footer