You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-06 15:58:43

eronis55

System freezes whenever I use pacman command

I've installed Arch Linux on my Macbook Air (2011) today. Everything went just fine, but download speed was a tad low. I thought giving pacman-contrib a go.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … ng_mirrors

I did exactly as Wiki says. My download speed problem is solved right now, but I have a bigger problem now. Whenever I try to install something on pacman, my laptop gets frozen completely. I don't exactly know what outputs I should give, so I will show you what I did before the problem occurred step by step.

As Wiki said, I took a backup of my mirrorlist.

cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.backup

After that, I've started ranking mirrors. I tried ranking with default mirrorlist of ArchLinux (comes by install)

rankmirrors -n 8 /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.backup > /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

As I've mentioned before is that my computer completely freezes when I use Pacman. I can't even use the mouse cursor. I really wish I had more idea on what's going on, but that's all I know right now. I've tested the same thing on Xorg as well, same problem. I've installed Arch using the latest ISO, and I've installed GNOME desktop. Do you have any ideas on why this problem occurred?

Last edited by eronis55 (2020-07-06 16:00:06)

#2 2020-07-06 16:06:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: System freezes whenever I use pacman command

Switch to a TTY and try and replicate. The post logs (use the debug switch, and journalctl).

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-07-06 16:42:26

eronis55

Re: System freezes whenever I use pacman command

Interestingly, I haven't been able to reproduce the freeze on TTY. However, same problem continues for GNOME. Interestingly, the problem doesn't occur if install process does not include download. If everything is on my computer, it doesn't freeze. When I use the debug flag, it doesn't seem to freeze either. I've tried installing more than a few software with debug flag, and I can't seem to be able to reproduce the problem. Interesting thing is, I've been dealing with this problem since morning. I don't know if TTY or debug flag did the trick, but I can install software on GUI too right now. I haven't tried without debug flag though. It can be because of large tar files of TexLive which no other Linux program I use can reproduce. I'll let you know if the same problem occurs again. Everything seems fine right now smile

Board footer