You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-17 22:02:38

Simone98RC

Can't turn off display

Hi guys,
there's no way to turn off display: after some seconds it wakes up.
I've tried with screen timeout set on KDE settings, now with xset dpms force off command: the situation is still the same.
The related error is "Could not create AF_NETLINK socket (Operation not permitted)", shown on Journald log every time the screen is turning off.
I know the provided info are not esaustive, so tell me what do you need for debug.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Simone98RC (2019-07-17 22:03:31)

#2 2019-07-18 13:04:27

seth

Re: Can't turn off display

The error is a generic kernel/userspace socket message and w/o context could mean *anything* or nothing at all.
Also you claim that the DPMS mode is successfully entered, it's just broken "after some seconds" (a more specific time and esp. whether it's a constant offset might be helpful)

DPMS is generally broken by input events, typical offenders are:
- you (touching input devices)
- some media player faking input to prevent screensavers/dpms to happen
- spurious events from an input device (the optical sensor of your mouse cannot decide its position)
- random stuff (eg. "hidden" devices like many webcams also provide a keyboard)

Another option is a deliberate SW break (something running the equivalent of "xset dpms force on")

Cut out as many variables as possible, starting w/ your desktop session and the DM, resort to "startx xterm" instead. Run "libinput debug-events" to see whether anything happens and ultimately remove pot. wonky hardware.

#3 2020-07-07 08:58:21

BinaryDevotee

Re: Can't turn off display

Hopefully I am not necrobumping here, as it's nearly one year old thread, anyway...

Simone98RC,

Look into my comments here:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419299#c4
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419299#c5

I would be curious if what I wrote there -- especially on the second link -- also works for your setup.

Cheers,

Last edited by BinaryDevotee (2020-07-07 09:54:01)

Board footer