You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-09 04:18:45

lidesia

[SOLVED] TexMaker Menus font missing

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has ran into an issue where when you want to open a file (both with shortcut and through the menus) displays a menu with nothing but boxes, as if there is a font missing. In the File Manager, this is not an issue. Does TexMaker source its fonts from somewhere other than the File Manager?

I'm running an Arch setup, and installed TexMaker with:

yaourt -S texmaker texlive-most 

Image of issue

Thanks for any help.

edit: fixed formatting

Last edited by lidesia (2020-07-09 08:32:57)

#2 2020-07-09 07:33:34

seth

Re: [SOLVED] TexMaker Menus font missing

That's most likely because pango dropped pcf-bitmap font support over a year ago.

I'm running an Arch setup, and installed TexMaker with:

yaourt -S texmaker texlive-most

What does that mean and why do you use yaourt? It was discontinued and is dead since ~2½ years.

#3 2020-07-09 07:41:45

lidesia

It means I installed the texmaker and texlive-most packages.

I used yaourt as I was getting annoyed at manually compiling everything I wanted to download when some of the older packages and companies that provide a binary with documentation I found confusing. yaourt does this automatically and it didn't cause problems with other programs.

I'll manually compile it real quick and see if that solves the issue since I didn't account for that, but thanks for the pointer. I'll also try to change the font to see if that solves the issue.

#4 2020-07-09 07:45:31

seth

No, what does "running an Arch setup" mean - notably since you're (still?) using yaourt.

yaourt does this automatically

No, it *DID* that automatically. It's rotten dead since more than 2 years. Don't use it.

If you seriously must, use some other AUR helper (yay is popular, but they all suck)

Pango thread from 2019: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=248032

#5 2020-07-09 08:24:49

lidesia

The first sentence was me trying to clarify that I am not using Manjaro or anything else since that is a requirement for getting help here (makes sense since those distros will have their own distro specific communities)

Thank you for the suggestion on package managers, and I will look into alternatives.

I don't think my issue was bitmap related as I downloaded a bitmap font to see if it would let me select in the menus and it did not, however using terminus from terminus-font-otb solved my issue.

I am currently editing the title to indicate that it is solved. Thank you very much for your help seth!

#6 2020-07-09 08:28:54

seth

however using terminus from terminus-font-otb solved my issue

Is exactly the pango ./. bitmap pcfs situation. The other terminus font is a pcf bitmap font.

Font selection relies on filters (eg. monospace ./. variable width) and whether the font database has been updated.

Board footer