You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-09 12:12:59

millus

[WORKAROUND] Game will have super-low FPS randomly despite G-Sync

So I had a problem with Overwatch, that it would suddenly be super slow like 1-3 FPS on a 1080TI =p
This started randomly and for no apparent reason, everything was up to date and configured as usual.
First I tried downgrading the kernel as the kernel updates often tend to break the system (last time they broke wifi in the 5.5.x series for example) but that wasn't the solution.
Now what fixed it 100% was, to always have nvidia-settings up and running and click "force composition pipeline". Now I'm for some reason back to top FPS. The "force full composition pipeline" button however seems not needed.
Also I'd like to mention that the nvidia or X drivers apparently can break badly if you suspend/wakeup your system, giving you low fps after wakeup, so you should always do a clean full shutdown and restart.

This is not related to this topic but I'll also say that if you're new to gaming on Linux, you can expect for example Overwatch to crash on 1 out of 2 attempts to start it up, with some nvidia error. Just close it, do a clean

pkill -f -9 ".exe"

to be sure all wine-stuff gets reset, and restart it, it'll work on 2nd or 3rd try totally fine.
Note that a

wineserver -k

or some such will NOT work, despite its description claiming so. You really need to force everything with pkill (or kill/killall) and signal 9 for some reason.

Happy linux gaming! Still having difficulties convincing Win-friends tho luls.

Last edited by millus (2020-07-09 12:17:07)

Board footer