You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-11 20:32:27

pgoetz

SOLVED: Help with updating a package: git push doesn't update the AUR.

I took over maintenance of the masterpdfeditor package and am trying to push an updated PKGBUILD, but must be doing something wrong.  I created an AUR-specific ssh key pair a while ago and submitted and tested it then; presumably this is working; at least I don't get any error messages when I try to push the updates.   Here are the steps I executed:

$ git clone ssh://aur@aur.archlinux.org/masterpdfeditor.git
 $ cd masterpdfeditor
  - delete the old PKGBUILD and copy over the new one
 $ makepkg --printsrcinfo > .SRCINFO
 $ git add PKGBUILD .SRCINFO
 $ git commit -m "New version of masterpdfeditor which works with default Arch  Qt5 libs again"
 $ git config --global user.email "pgoetz@mail.utexas.edu"
 $ git config --global user.name "Patrick Goetz"
 $ git push

However when I go to the corresponding AUR page, I still see all the old info.  I followed the instructions given in the AUR submission guidelines but must be missing something.  I'm probably doing something wrong, but am not sure what.  If I try to git pull it tells me the git repo is up to date, so presumably it knows about my changes?

Last edited by pgoetz (2020-07-12 12:39:09)

#2 2020-07-11 20:56:56

Bevan

Re: SOLVED: Help with updating a package: git push doesn't update the AUR.

A wild guess: Did you run the two `git config` commands because git told you that user.name and user.email were not set? In that case the `git commit` before did not actually succeed. You need to run it again after configuring user.email and user.name.

If that is not the case, what does `git status` tell you?

#3 2020-07-11 22:45:44

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: Moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2020-07-12 02:55:53

eschwartz
Fellow

pgoetz wrote:

presumably this is working; at least I don't get any error messages when I try to push the updates.   Here are the steps I executed:

[a bunch of things with no output]

I'm probably doing something wrong, but am not sure what.

I know what you're doing wrong. You're not telling us what the output of the commands were, and you very carefully said you don't get error messages when pushing the updates -- but don't say anything about error messages for other steps.

pgoetz wrote:

If I try to git pull it tells me the git repo is up to date, so presumably it knows about my changes?

This is empirically proven to be wrong: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … rpdfeditor

There are no changes, you never pushed anything, ever.

Submitter:     farseerfc
Maintainer:     pgoetz
Last Packager:     Scimmia

First Submitted:     2016-12-05 01:50
Last Updated:     2019-07-10 14:54

Now, regarding the question of *why* you never pushed anything ever, despite your failure to provide relevant information about the actual commands you ran (instead hand-waving everything away by "the push itself didn't error")...

Bevan's suggestion seems plausible. Your git commit -m failed with an error, which you didn't tell us about, and you never actually re-ran the *failing command* after you fixed the cause of the error.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2020-07-12 12:23:43

pgoetz

Bevan wrote:

A wild guess: Did you run the two `git config` commands because git told you that user.name and user.email were not set? In that case the `git commit` before did not actually succeed. You need to run it again after configuring user.email and user.name.

Thank you!  That was exactly the problem.  I just ran

[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ git commit -m "New version of masterpdfeditor which works with default Arch  Qt5 libs again"
[master a22c00d] New version of masterpdfeditor which works with default Arch  Qt5 libs again
 2 files changed, 11 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ git push
Enumerating objects: 7, done.
Counting objects: 100% (7/7), done.
Delta compression using up to 8 threads
Compressing objects: 100% (4/4), done.
Writing objects: 100% (4/4), 727 bytes | 727.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 4 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
To ssh://aur.archlinux.org/masterpdfeditor.git
   8de1855..a22c00d  master -> master

I didn't get an error message before, but I also didn't get any output, which should have been the tip off.  Thanks so much for your help.

#6 2020-07-12 12:38:03

pgoetz

eschwartz wrote:

I know what you're doing wrong. You're not telling us what the output of the commands were, and you very carefully said you don't get error messages when pushing the updates -- but don't say anything about error messages for other steps.

Bevan's suggestion seems plausible. Your git commit -m failed with an error, which you didn't tell us about, and you never actually re-ran the *failing command* after you fixed the cause of the error.

Hi -

I should have noticed that there wasn't any commit/push output and that it probably didn't cache the commit/push waiting for credentials to be entered. In case anyone else runs in to this, here is the complete console log from the failed commit/push.

[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ view PKGBUILD
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ rm PKGBUILD
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ cp -a ../build/PKGBUILD .
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ view PKGBUILD
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ makepkg --printsrcinfo > .SRCINFO
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ git add PKGBUILD .SRCINFO
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ ls
PKGBUILD
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ ls -a
.  ..  .git  .gitignore  PKGBUILD  .SRCINFO
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ git commit -m "New version of masterpdfeditor which works with default Arch Qt5 libs again"

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
  git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.
Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

fatal: empty ident name (for <pgoetz@frog.linuxcs.com>) not allowed
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ git config --global user.email "pgoetz@mail.utexas.edu"
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ git config --global user.name "Patrick Goetz"
[pgoetz@frog masterpdfeditor]$ git push
Everything up-to-date

#7 2020-07-12 13:01:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

pgoetz wrote:

I didn't get an error message before, but I also didn't get any output, which should have been the tip off.  Thanks so much for your help.

What?  Of course you did.  You just showed 12 lines of output that resulted from that command.  I could give the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you didn't interpret it as an error (though the word "Fatal: ..." should have been a dead give away) but how could you see those 12 lines of output and still say you didn't get any output.

That's a rhetorical question, of course.  But this is precisely why it's important to provide complete commands and output and why if that is impossible, at least to completely misrepresent what happened by saying there was no output when there obviously was.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2020-07-12 13:08:46

pgoetz

Trilby wrote:

But this is precisely why it's important to provide complete commands and output and why if that is impossible, at least to completely misrepresent what happened by saying there was no output when there obviously was.

I agree.  The real problem was that I haven't been a package maintainer since the new git-based system was introduced, so wasn't sure how the interface between git and the AUR web page worked.  Thinking there was some additional step I was missing, I was focused on the wrong thing and failed to include what in retrospect were not irrelevant details.  My bad, and thanks for your help with this.

#9 2020-07-12 13:27:58

loqs

The patchelf call removed the RPATH /opt/Qt5.9.8/5.9.8/gcc_64/lib from masterpdfeditor.

#10 2020-07-12 15:29:21

pgoetz

loqs wrote:

The patchelf call removed the RPATH /opt/Qt5.9.8/5.9.8/gcc_64/lib from masterpdfeditor.

Ugh.  It probably doesn't hurt, but it also doesn't need to be there.  OK, I'll add the patchelf thing back.  Thanks for the heads up.

Board footer