You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-10 21:15:19

Pepsel

Kingston A2000 APST system freeze fixed. Arch or kernel bug?

So I had quite some struggles when I migrated to Arch from Manjaro AND upgrading my M.2 drive from SATA to a bigger NVMe one. Basically daily total freezes only recoverable by sysrq+reisub. Also the last minutes of journalctl was missing. But I did figure it out eventually, APST power management caused it. Adding this kernel parameter:

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0

completely fixed the issue. Setting it to 5500 vs 0 also seemed to work, going to test that after I'm sure I don't need to return the drive.

So now this seems like some bug to me, now what do I do with it? I've read the bug guidelines and this seems upstream to me? There are 2 mentions of this fix on the arch wiki, for example here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/So … drive/NVMe but they are about an older kernel and Samsung drives. Might be something for the wiki to save others some potential headaches?

BTW this is on a Asus laptop, the drive in the Kingston A2000 1TB. LTS or stable doesn't matter. I also dual booted Manjaro to see if it was the drive or my Arch install and it was the same there.

#2 2020-07-17 02:05:30

MasterGeek.MX

Re: Kingston A2000 APST system freeze fixed. Arch or kernel bug?

I recently blought the same SSD (but the 250GB version) and except for some mistakes on the first tries of install by my part, the only Issue I had is a random freeze followed by a reboot (and probably not relleated to the SSD).

Maybe try a non-arch distro for good measure. Fedora might do the trick becasue it is quite upstream-close.

I made a bow to not perpetrate the meme, so I don't RTMF people, and I don't even say the name of the distro unless I am asked direclty.

#3 2020-08-07 20:18:54

blackwolf12333

Hey, I recently bought this exact SSD as well. I've been having these system freezes as well, I've tried PopOS!, Fedora and my default archlinux. So far it's been the most stable on arch, but still freezing at least a couple of times a day. I will try this kernel parameter and report back in a couple of days if this does indeed solve the freezes.

I also had an issue that when rebooting with sysrq+reisub the drive sometimes wouldn't show up, but after reseating the drive that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

#4 2020-09-19 17:12:46

G-Ray

I confirm disabling PS4 fixes this issue. In order to save power, I would advise to set a default_ps_max_latency_us to 4000 (or any value between 4000 and 30000). This way, PS3 can still be reached to save a lot of power usage. Kingston support is aware of this issue, and is investigating a possible fix.

Board footer