You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-19 10:21:53

Ophrys

Plasma/Xorg/sddm pretty unstable after recent upgrades

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago, everything was fine. Recently, I have noticed strange behaviours:
- I cannot switch between users (I get a black screen with the second user, with only my mouse cursor visible).
- I can see my desktop but nothing is responding, except the mouse. (I can switch to another console, but Xorg seems frozen.)
- I cannot manage to get back to my desktop after I put the system to sleep. Sddm is visible, but I get a black screen after I have entered my password.

... this kind of behaviours. First, I thought that it could be a bug in a recent package update. But it has been weeks now, and no upgrade has fixed these issues.
Could it be a bad configuration in a file, not compatible with a recent upgrade? Should I delete some Plasma/sddm configuration files?

Your help will be welcome! Thanks.

#2 2020-07-19 10:35:58

d_fajardo

Re: Plasma/Xorg/sddm pretty unstable after recent upgrades

Are you using nvidia 450?

#3 2020-07-20 08:33:46

Ophrys

Yes. Here are all my nvidia related packages:

sudo pacman -Qs nvidia
local/egl-wayland 1.1.5-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 450.57-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.4-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/nvidia 450.57-3
    NVIDIA drivers for linux
local/nvidia-utils 450.57-2
    NVIDIA drivers utilities

#4 2020-07-20 09:12:00

d_fajardo

I had a recent post here and as I mentioned in that other post, due to other issues with my PC, I decided to reinstall. Now that I have a new installation, I started to monitor KDE and nvidia together because in the past the update to the new nvidia 450 was giving trouble. I'm still in the process of testing my new installation. So far the barest minimum KDE with nvidia seem to work OK. But when I installed powerdevil for the sleep function, my PC starts having the same symptoms again - black screen on wakeup and screen freezes. So I decided to uninstall powerdevil. I am still currently monitoring KDE without powerdevil and so far everything is stable. I just put my system to sleep by systemd. I am guessing KDE's powerdevil is not working well with the new nvidia driver.

Are you using powerdevil as well? If you do, perhaps try without it and monitor your system and post your experience.

#5 2020-07-20 14:56:57

Nordwin

I have noticed similar problems with KDE and nvidia, always after I resumed after suspend-to-ram or after the screen was locked due to inactivity. I could restore functionality by killing the /usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet process. This would give me an actual screen locker where I could enter my password and which would provide a usable desktop.

If I didn't kill it, I was either faced with a black screen with only a mouse, or with a static desktop screen with which I couldn't interact.

By even with this workaround, it is very annoying.

#6 2020-07-20 22:39:37

d_fajardo

I do still keep getting freeze. This usually happens when I leave PC by itself. I think KDE tries to initiate the kscreenlocker but somehow fails and goes into a freeze instead.
For now, I'm disabling auto screen locking and powerdevil. I just initiate systemd suspend to sleep. I will just test to enable them again after a KDE or nvidia update to see if they're fix.
It might be worthwhile as well to report these bugs.

Board footer