You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-22 11:57:36

Wild Penguin

[SOLVED] Many PKGBUILDs fail because chroot is run nested

Hi,

I seem to be having problems with many packages from AUR. Most install fine, but many - which used to work fine - now don't. The error being:

==> Entering fakeroot environment...
fakeroot: FAKEROOTKEY set to 1453438524
fakeroot: nested operation not yet supported

For some reason makepkg enters a fakeroot environment twice (nested). I can compile the source manually, however I'm at a loss why this happens with makepkg and how to make the actual package (this also happens with aurutils, but of course I just tried with makepkg to rule out aurutils issues).

Curiously, one of the packages which triggered this is aurutils-git; however, after a few retries, it succeeded, without any changes on my part in between!

Another of the packages causing this is perl-mojolicious.

There are others, however they escape my mind / evade the error ATM. I will list them here once I encounter some (unless the cause is found and is generic).

Before someone asks: I am not running (makepkg) in a chroot myself.

Here is a complete log of my attempt running makepkg on the perl-mojolicious PKGBUILD. We can see fakeroot is actually run twice (nested)!
makepkg.conf

Any ideas?

Last edited by Wild Penguin (2020-07-22 14:01:28)

#2 2020-07-22 14:01:13

Wild Penguin

Re: [SOLVED] Many PKGBUILDs fail because chroot is run nested

Fixed it after some trial-and-error.

I believe the culprit is these two lines:

/usr/share/makepkg/tidy/zipman.sh: line 50: files: bad array subscript
/usr/share/makepkg/tidy/zipman.sh: line 51: files[$inode]: bad array subscript

Why it fails, I'm not exactly sure. I did have my .cache (which aurutils uses) and, coincidentally, a subdirectory I was using for storing the PKGBUILD, symlinked elsewhere from my home directory.

Thinking maybe some part of that script does not like the symlink, I changed away to a directory which does not have a symlinked directory anywhere in it's path. Result: makepkg (and the said script) works now.

Marking as [SOLVED]!

Though, maybe there is still a bug, as I believe the script should not in fail under these conditions; as in "symlinks anywhere in a directory tree with PKGBUILD causes a failure with zipman.sh". Workaround: don't store PKGBUILDs under symlinks.

TL;DR: "symlinks anywhere in a directory tree with PKGBUILD causes a failure with zipman.sh"

#3 2020-07-22 14:07:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I don't think symlinks themselves should matter as that section of code works on inodes.  Did your symlinks go across filesystems?  I could imagine that causing the errors you described.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2020-07-22 15:06:50

Wild Penguin

Trilby wrote:

I don't think symlinks themselves should matter as that section of code works on inodes.  Did your symlinks go across filesystems?  I could imagine that causing the errors you described.

Yes, it did. I used symlinks to move large directories away from an SSD. The other FS is still ext4 (as is the homedir).

Last edited by Wild Penguin (2020-07-22 15:07:18)

Board footer