You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-24 13:14:58

ArchWilly

[SOLVED] nVidia passthrough with kernel > 5.5 on Qemu/KVM

Hello everybody,

First of all, sorry for my poor english skill. I can easily understand, but I know I'm not clear everytime. If you don't understand a sentence, don't hesitate to say it to me... I promess I do the best I can.

So, my problem is the following : since kernel is > 5.5 (5.6 and 5.7), I can't start my Windows 10 guest with nVidia GTX 1050Ti. It reboots at startup... With a 5.5.x kernel (and corresponding headers), there absolutely no problem... Does somebody have an idea to solve this problem.

By the way, the problem only comes with Windows guest. With an Archlinux guest, I have no problem. I can boot with nVidia drivers and launch a 3D benchmark...

For information :
- I follow the following wiki to use PCIe passthrough : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PC … h_via_OVMF
- My hardware is : Gigabyte X99-SLI + core i7 5820k + 32G Ram + nVidia GTX 1050 Ti (for guest passthrough) + nVidia GT 710 (for host, with nouveau driver)
- I'm up to date. Just kernel and kernel-headers are 5.5.13-arch2 to use Qemu/KVM with passthrough
- Of course, my host is vanilla Archlinux...

I search on forums, but I can't find a similar case. Does somebody have an idea?
If you need more details, don't hesitate to say it...

Sincerly,

G.

Last edited by ArchWilly (2020-08-19 14:54:54)

#2 2020-07-26 19:39:54

archixxx

Re: [SOLVED] nVidia passthrough with kernel > 5.5 on Qemu/KVM

While I don't have a solution for you maybe try a different CPU setting. If you use "host-passthrough" try "host-model" instead or try other CPUs. There was a discussion about kernel >5.5 and Qemu 5 on reddit a while ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/ … ows_bsods/ For me it worked but probably it's not exactly your problem.

#3 2020-07-28 06:40:56

ArchWilly

Hello archixxx,

Thank you very much for your answer.
Unfortunately, I already use the host-model CPU. The discussion on reddit seems to be for recent AMD CPU and I have an old Intel CPU (core i7 5820k)...
Another point is I don't seem having problem with Qemu 5, but with kernel > 5.5 because I can use Qemu 5 with kernel 5.5.13. I think (but I have no proof) that is a problem with KVM (VFIO?). The drivers for KVM are in linux kernel and I think it can explain the problem.
One other point is I'm sure there is a conflict between kernel of the host and nVidia driver on Windows guest, because :
1) there no problem with linux guest even if I use nVidia driver too
2) while no driver is install on guest (windows installed without network), there is no problem....

Anyway, thanks a lot for your interest.

Sincerly,

G.

#4 2020-08-19 14:54:34

ArchWilly

So I finally found the solution which is on this post.
For me, it was the part after "Fixing the Windows 10 VM Boot Failure" that was useful. I hope it could help someone else.

By the way, the problem were in Windows even if it was working with Linux kernel < 5.6...

Bye everybody,

G.

Board footer