You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-20 16:50:03

Matteus
Member
Registered: 2020-07-20
Posts: 2

Xrandr glitch on the connected part of the primary display

Hello everyone !

First of all, i'm new here and a french guy, so if my post is at the wrong place or my English not understandable, i apologize in advance.

I created my first Arch system from scratch and it work amazingly. As a developer, i wanted to plug a USB dualscreen to help me to code.

So i installed xrandr, displaylink, and the module udl.

[matt@arch-MattOAE ~]$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 3
Provider 0: id: 0x44 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 2 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x992 cap: 0x2, Sink Output crtcs: 1 outputs: 1 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
Provider 2: id: 0x23f cap: 0x0 crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:NVIDIA-G0

$matt@arch-MattOAE ~]$ xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0

$matt@arch-MattOAE ~]$  modprobe udl

$matt@arch-MattOAE ~]$  xrandr --current
...
DVI-I-2-1 connected 1920x1080+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm                                                                                                                                                  
   1920x1080     59.99*+                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02                                                                                                                                                                                                                
   1366x768      60.00                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
   1024x768      75.03    70.07    60.00                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  1280x1024 (0x51) 108.000MHz +HSync +VSync                                                                                                                                                                                                    
        h: width  1280 start 1328 end 1440 total 1688 skew    0 clock  63.98KHz                                                                                                                                                                
        v: height 1024 start 1025 end 1028 total 1066           clock  60.02Hz
  1024x768 (0x62) 65.000MHz -HSync -VSync
        h: width  1024 start 1048 end 1184 total 1344 skew    0 clock  48.36KHz
        v: height  768 start  771 end  777 total  806           clock  60.00Hz

The problem is the one following:

i wanted to put my portable screen on the left in portrait mode. On doing that, my primary screen glitch whenever i move a window like this, specially on the side where the screen has been connected.
I tried to unplug the screen but the bug is still there after that.

Screen-Capture-20200720182534.png

Does someone has any clue why xrandr is having this issue ?

Thanks in advance everyone, i'll try to check by my side too !

Matt

Offline

#2 2020-07-21 10:27:48

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 8,276

Re: Xrandr glitch on the connected part of the primary display

Those outputs suggest you have a hybrid graphics system.

Provider 1: id: 0x992 cap: 0x2, Sink Output crtcs: 1 outputs: 1 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting

What does this correspond to ?

What CPU / integrated GPU are you using ?

Brand and model of the portable screen ?


Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Offline

#3 2020-07-29 08:56:43

Matteus
Member
Registered: 2020-07-20
Posts: 2

Re: Xrandr glitch on the connected part of the primary display

Hello Lone_Wolf,

thanks for your answer. As requested, here's my configuration:

- CPU > Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 4405U @ 2.10GHz
- Integrated GPU > HD Graphics 510 (Intel, VGA compatible controller with driver i915)
- Side GPU > NVidia GM108M [GeForce 930MX] (3D controller, driver nvidia)

I think the line

Provider 1: id: 0x992 cap: 0x2, Sink Output crtcs: 1 outputs: 1 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting

correspond to my USB screen ASUS MB169B+

I tried the last days to find something, unfortunately, nothing.
Even sometimes, when i use xrandr to change something, my computer crashes.

EDIT:

I unplugged my usb screen and tried

[matt@arch-MattOAE ~]$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x44 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 2 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x23f cap: 0x0 crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:NVIDIA-G0

Last edited by Matteus (2020-07-29 09:07:41)

Offline

#4 2020-07-29 09:11:51

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 10,144

Re: Xrandr glitch on the connected part of the primary display

Afaik there's an issue with displaylink and modesettings pageflip mechanism

Section "OutputClass"
  Identifier "DisplayLink"
  MatchDriver "evdi" #Not sure here, double check with e.g. lsusb what the actual kernel driver for the displaylink device is
  Driver "modesetting"
  Option "PageFlip" "false"
EndSection 

might help.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB