You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-31 04:49:23

f3ck4rX

howto: pacman ignore kernel update

which pkg should I add to the list to ignore?

IgnorePkg	= linux

IgnorePkg	= linux-headers

IgnorePkg	= linux-firmware

is that enough?

The feelings of my heart are like the vacuum, infinite, but invisible to the eyes.

#2 2020-07-31 05:27:23

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: howto: pacman ignore kernel update

Why would you ignore firmware? Do you have the header installed?

#3 2020-07-31 13:44:08

f3ck4rX

Scimmia wrote:

Why would you ignore firmware? Do you have the header installed?

yes. I have headers installed.

I realize I should make 2 grub entries instead of blocking kernel upgrade, one from custom and other for arch,
in that way i don't need to block anything.

Last edited by f3ck4rX (2020-07-31 13:46:25)

The feelings of my heart are like the vacuum, infinite, but invisible to the eyes.

#4 2020-07-31 13:51:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah, what?

Having a custom kernel and multiple boot options is completely unrelated to ignoring package upgrades.  What do you think one has to do with the other?  What's your real question?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-09-09 04:29:32

tkwilson

Same question from a n00b, didn't want to start a new thread.  Due to 5.8 and VMWare incompatibility, I put linux and linux-headers into my IgnorePkg list in pacman.conf.  However, upon reboot, KDE would not start.  I could ctrl-alt-F2 to the CLI, and after some thrashing around and trying to research on my phone, I ended up reverting back utilizing Timeshift.

I suspected it was due to the Nvidia drivers that updated, but never one to go half-measures, I ignored a lot, probably too much.  My system works, but I'm feeling that I'm not in a good place.

"eschwartz" largely answered this question in a different thread, I am just filled with FUD.  Below are my ignore lines, the ones with asterisks around them are the ones I think I should stop ignoring based upon eschwartz.  Any other suggestions?

IgnorePkg   = linux linux-headers ***linux-api-headers linux-firmware*** linux-lts-headers
IgnorePkg   = nvidia-dkms nvidia-utils lib32-nvidia-utils

From other posting:

eschwartz wrote:

I just add the kernel to IgnorePkg, and upgrade it manually with 'pacman -S linux' when I'm ready to reboot. This is a pretty common thing for people to do.

(Repeat as needed for headers and out of tree modules.)

P.S. The linux-api-headers are used for compiling userspace applications, there's no reason to ignore them. Neither the linux-api-headers nor linux-firmware are tied to the running kernel, you should not ignore either one of them.

Just ignore the kernel itself, any third-party modules you have like virtualbox-host-modules-arch, and the -headers package (if you have the -headers package installed at all, it is only needed for dkms modules.)

Thanks everyone!

Board footer