You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-01 10:49:02

gauthma
Website

Macbook: failed to detect keyboard when asking LUKS password

Hi all,

Situation as follows: updated system (not using testing), and updated AUR packages (using pkgbuild), and rebooted. Could not insert LUKS password -- had to use an USB keyboard to enter said password. But afterwords, everything worked fine -- the macbook's keyboard was detected an configured as it was before the update.

Now, I don't know if this is related to the upgrade of some package (systemd?), or to the AUR's hid-apple-patch-git-dkms, which I also use (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hid- … -git-dkms/). In any event, I rebuilt the initramfs `mkinitcpio -P all` and rebooted -- to no avail. Still had to go grab the USB keyboard.

Anyway, I fixed the problem by adding hid_apple to the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, and rebuilding initramfs

MODULES=( hid_apple )
# mkinitcpio -P all

Now it is my understanding that udev is supposed to load the required modules; my HOOKS array in mkinitcpio.conf looks like this:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems fsck shutdown)

I got to wandering if my problem was due to it (udev) having stopped doing that, and so I compared the two initramfs images, before and after adding hid_apple to the MODULES array. And sure enough, after modifying MODULES the image contained

./usr/lib/modules/5.7.11-arch1-1/kernel/hid-apple.ko

But this file is MISSING from the image prior to changing the MODULES array. My question is *why*? I haven't gotten around to selectively rollback the machine to try to pin down when this problem first appears, but I was somewhat surprised that this has not been reported before. Has no one else stumbled upon this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by gauthma (2020-08-01 10:50:33)

Board footer