You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-31 13:55:18

lost_eth0
Website

[Solved] Having issues installing on Asus X205T

Heya, I'm looking to install Arch Linux on an old webbook I have. The thing is, the laptops hardware is a little strange, to say the least. Based on what this page from the wiki says (the wiki page refers to a newer model, but they're pretty similar), the system implements a 32 bit EFI loader, but the rest of the system is 64 bit, which causes issues.

Following the wiki article, I made an archiso USB, and then added bootia32.efi to /EFI/boot. From there, I did my best to make a grub config file, as shown below.

menuentry "Attempt boot of ArchISO" {
	search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid D007-98DD
	linux /arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisolabel=ARCHISO archisobasedir=arch
	initrd /arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
	boot
}

menuentry "System shutdown" {
	echo "System shutting down..."
	halt
}

menuentry "System restart" {
	echo "System rebooting..."
	reboot
}

Once this was done, I was able to manually boot arch by using `configfile /grub.cfg` in the grub shell. It got partially through the boot process, but threw this error:

[   17.97... ] unable to read xattr id index table
mount: /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
ERROR; Failed to mount '/dev/loop0'
   Falling back to interactive prompt
   You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]# _

I tried searching online about this error, but everything seemed to be about unrelated things such as a bad USB, but this USB boots fine on any of my other hardware. If anybody knows what is going on or how to fix it, I'd really appreciate the help.

Last edited by lost_eth0 (2020-08-21 01:01:58)

#2 2020-08-01 12:40:25

ondoho
Website

Re: [Solved] Having issues installing on Asus X205T

lost_eth0 wrote:

Following the wiki article, I made an archiso USB, and then added bootia32.efi to /EFI/boot.

This is 7 years old.

Maybe this (and this) can help.

Last edited by ondoho (2020-08-01 12:41:28)

#3 2020-08-02 05:04:55

lost_eth0
Website

I was able to get it working by copying the ISOs files "the right way" as detailed here, and then adding the bootia32.efi file to the /boot/efi folder. After that, the installation went on with literally zero issues, just a standard arch install. None of the hacks that used to be required when the posts I linked were made.

#4 2020-08-02 05:30:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer