You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-01 10:52:47

songohan98

Using Headphone Buttons

Hello
I want to know how to configure my headphone buttons to control my laptop's volume. I am using a wired headphone.

#2 2020-08-01 14:08:38

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Using Headphone Buttons

USB or Analog?
What desktop environment are you using?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2020-08-02 00:45:05

songohan98

ewaller wrote:

USB or Analog?

I am using Analog input, these are basically the ones you plug into your smartphones. These are AKG earphones. Sorry for the confusion with headphone/earphone.

ewaller wrote:

What desktop environment are you using?

Gnome using GDM.

My laptop is MSI GE63 RAIDER. It has an analogue input for the speaker, and an analogue input for a microphone.

#4 2020-08-02 10:09:56

ondoho
Website

Do the phones have a mic as well?
Maybe the laptop simply isn't able to deal with any of this, and defaults to using them as headphones only. I.e., there's only 3 connectors inside the plug, not 4.

Last edited by ondoho (2020-08-02 10:10:15)

#5 2020-08-02 14:40:04

ewaller
Administrator

Also, it was not so much confusion, rather USB headsets use a different mechanism than do analog headsets.  One uses digital messages on the bus, the other indicates but pushes by changing the current they draw from the microphone bias circuit.  Not all laptops are designed for the latter.   How many buttons are we talking about, and what do they do on Android?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2020-09-02 06:06:06

songohan98

ewaller wrote:

Also, it was not so much confusion, rather USB headsets use a different mechanism than do analog headsets.  One uses digital messages on the bus, the other indicates but pushes by changing the current they draw from the microphone bias circuit.  Not all laptops are designed for the latter.   How many buttons are we talking about, and what do they do on Android?

Three buttons, on my android phone, two buttons are used for the volume up and down and the third button to take in calls or pause and play music.

Board footer