You are not logged in.

#26 2020-08-01 02:23:31

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: 95% of the time I use yay, it fails

Yes, powerpill doesn't work as pacman replacement for makepkg. It shows that copying dotfiles from someone else is bound to cause trouble down the road.

Otherwise you should be fine until the next pacman upgrade, on which yay inevitably breaks. Even that behavior is copied from yaourt! lol

Last edited by Alad (2020-08-01 02:28:06)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#27 2020-08-03 04:21:55

Awebb

eschwartz wrote:

Nah, I'll take yaourt over pacaur or pikaur or trizen any day.

Yaourt wasn't as bad as we often say it was. It had one massive problem: It relied on another AUR package that broke, whenever pacman/libalpm was updated. There was also the problem of this (french?) repository, that didn't keep up with pacman and people who relied on it "often" had to rebuild yaourt themselves. The majority of "yaourt problem threads" were exactly that: Yaourt breaking itself by not being up to date and not having a chance to be, due to a borked dependency.

However, my first contact with Arch ended with yaourt: I spent all night installing Arch, then I tried the AUR. The wiki gave me the impression, that yaourt was the way to go, but out of ten AUR packages I tried, yaourt only managed to build and install one. When I tried a month later, I realised how it's really done, so I tried again. I then actually used yaourt until I found bauerbill, because I now understood when and why yaourt failed and was able to fix it.

Today, I'd rather use my own scripts and give eschwartz PTSD from looking over my git plumbing, because I don't need most of the features of those helpers.

Alad wrote:

Otherwise you should be fine until the next pacman upgrade, on which yay inevitably breaks. Even that behavior is copied from yaourt! lol

One would think they'd come up with some switch to rebuild yay/yaourt against the current libraries.

Last edited by Awebb (2020-08-03 04:24:57)

#28 2020-08-03 04:44:18

eschwartz
Fellow

Yeah, the problem is that yay is a binary linking to libalpm.so and it doesn't work at all.

yaourt is bash, with a C-based helper (package-query). Only package-query breaks on pacman updates. You could hardcode a routine to clone a well-known pkgbase and rebuild it (but no one ever implemented such a thing).

Some other recent AUR helpers written in python use pyalpm, and do not break on pacman updates because pyalpm is updated in the official repos.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#29 2020-08-03 12:04:44

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

eschwartz wrote:

Some other recent AUR helpers written in python use pyalpm, and do not break on pacman updates because pyalpm is updated in the official repos.

Same for pacutils

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#30 2020-08-03 12:22:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ok, I stand corrected.  Lots of others really suck too.  I'm not nearly as familiar with any of the others getting critiqued and I hedged a bit as I've got myself in hot water critiquing AUR helpers here before: so I focused on the one I knew was troubled.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer