You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-02 05:27:02

gitarthasarmac9

[SOLVED] iwd service unable to connect to wifi

After a fresh installation of Arch with KDE Plasma 5 desktop environment, I connected to my wifi using the GUI network manager available and was successful. But during installation, I had connected to the internet using the iwd service. So, post-installation after installing iwd with pacman  on my computer, I followed the same steps I used to connect to my wifi during installation but it failed.

STEPS I followed:
1. Installed the iwd service
2. Started and enabled the iwd service.
3. Next I ran the comman

iwctl 

to open the interactive shell of iwd
4. Next I ran the command(HOME is my wifi network)

station wlan0 connect HOME 

The prompt asks for the passphrase, I enter it. But the immediate output is

Operation Failed 

Below is the output of  systemctl status iwd.service

>>  systemctl status iwd.service
● iwd.service - Wireless service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/iwd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-08-02 15:34:10 IST; 4h 40min left
   Main PID: 469 (iwd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 9369)
     Memory: 3.4M
     CGroup: /system.slice/iwd.service
             └─469 /usr/lib/iwd/iwd

Aug 02 10:51:01 arch-git iwd[469]: Received error during CMD_TRIGGER_SCAN: Operation not supported (95)
Aug 02 10:51:28 arch-git iwd[469]: Received Deauthentication event, reason: 2, from_ap: true
Aug 02 10:51:38 arch-git iwd[469]: Received Deauthentication event, reason: 3, from_ap: false
Aug 02 10:51:38 arch-git iwd[469]: Received error during CMD_TRIGGER_SCAN: Network is down (100)
Aug 02 10:51:47 arch-git iwd[469]: Received Deauthentication event, reason: 1, from_ap: false
Aug 02 10:51:56 arch-git iwd[469]: Received Deauthentication event, reason: 1, from_ap: false
Aug 02 10:52:05 arch-git iwd[469]: Received Deauthentication event, reason: 1, from_ap: false
Aug 02 10:52:05 arch-git iwd[469]: Unexpected connection related event -- is another supplicant running?
Aug 02 10:52:05 arch-git iwd[469]: Unexpected connection related event -- is another supplicant running?
Aug 02 10:52:16 arch-git iwd[469]: Received error during CMD_TRIGGER_SCAN: Operation not supported (95)

Last edited by gitarthasarmac9 (2020-08-03 15:58:49)

#2 2020-08-02 05:29:42

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] iwd service unable to connect to wifi

You are running another networking service. Disable it, or you will have conflicts like this.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2020-08-02 05:43:16

gitarthasarmac9

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do I know which other networking service is running?

#4 2020-08-02 06:09:13

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

find /etc/systemd -name "*.service"

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2020-08-02 06:14:34

sputnik208
Website

The following will give you a list of running "service" units:

systemctl --type=service --state=running

If you really don't recall which packages you have installed then you can look at pacman log to see what packages have been installed

cat /var/log/pacman.log

This is fresh install you said. Did you install the wpa_supplicant package?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wpa_supplicant

Be cognizant of the packages you install. Get familiar with systemd.

#6 2020-08-03 11:48:01

gitarthasarmac9

Okay, I got the point one doubt. I guess in my scenario iwd, NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant all 3 of them are running simulaneously. Is that creating the problem?
If they are then which of them should be turned off while using the other?

>> systemctl --type=service --state=running
UNIT                      LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                          
dbus.service              loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus             
iwd.service               loaded active running Wireless service                     
lvm2-lvmetad.service      loaded active running LVM2 metadata daemon                 
NetworkManager.service    loaded active running Network Manager                      
polkit.service            loaded active running Authorization Manager                
rtkit-daemon.service      loaded active running RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service
sddm.service              loaded active running Simple Desktop Display Manager       
systemd-journald.service  loaded active running Journal Service                      
systemd-logind.service    loaded active running Login Service                        
systemd-timesyncd.service loaded active running Network Time Synchronization         
systemd-udevd.service     loaded active running udev Kernel Device Manager           
udisks2.service           loaded active running Disk Manager                         
upower.service            loaded active running Daemon for power management          
user@1000.service         loaded active running User Manager for UID 1000            
wpa_supplicant.service    loaded active running WPA supplicant                       

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

15 loaded units listed.

#7 2020-08-03 11:51:16

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you want to use iwctl you should stop and disable NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant.

But stopping NetworkManager will also disable Plasmas network management GUI, if you want to keep that but still use iwd instead of wpa_supplicant see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … Fi_backend

Last edited by V1del (2020-08-03 11:53:25)

#8 2020-08-03 13:46:53

gitarthasarmac9

Okay got it, I disabled both wpa_supplicant and NetworkManager and connected through iwctl it worked, but sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. I was tweaking a lot maybe that might affect it. Nevertheless, it worked and in my opinion, wpa_supplicant is much better in the backend instead of iwd. Thanks for the help guys!

V1del wrote:

If you want to use iwctl you should stop and disable NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant.

But stopping NetworkManager will also disable Plasmas network management GUI, if you want to keep that but still use iwd instead of wpa_supplicant see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … Fi_backend

#9 2021-03-31 16:12:12

icekylin
Website

I had the same problem. Please try the solution:
1. Edit Connections > Wired > Network name > Edit > IPv6 Settings > Method > Ignore/Disabled
2. Save and connect

This is my hometown, only water and land. People are also aging and losing their vitality. I don't think it's the most beautiful place, and I don't think it's full of possibilities. But I want to introduce my hometown to you.

Board footer