You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-03 17:29:27

Condor

[SOLVED] (workaround) nm-applet not showing WireGuard connections

I have installed networkmanager, and alongside network-manager-applet as well as nm-connection-editor for graphical management of network connections.

Right-clicking on the tray icon of nm-applet and selecting Edit connections… opens nm-connection-editor and allows me to set up LAN connections – and WireGuard tunnels. Left-clicking the tray icon allows to connect/disconnect the LAN connections, a previously configured WireGuard conenction is however not shown.

I would like to be able to connect/disconnect a WireGuard tunnel manually upon demand via nm-applet, just like it is possible for VPN connections. Is that even supported? Am I following incorrect expectations?

(Please note: The actual WireGuard tunnel does work as intended, i. e. it routes all internet traffic as configured. I can bring it up by issuing

nmcli connection up wg-tunnel

in a shell and tear it down. While up/down in nmcli works, the entry is also not listed in nmtui.)

Last edited by Condor (2020-08-04 07:02:08)

#2 2020-08-03 23:35:56

yochananmarqos

Re: [SOLVED] (workaround) nm-applet not showing WireGuard connections

Wireguard GUI functionality hasn't been added yet. In the meantime, you can install networkmanager-wireguard-git from the AUR. It does exactly what you're looking for.

#3 2020-08-04 07:01:41

Condor

Re: [SOLVED] (workaround) nm-applet not showing WireGuard connections

Thank you for suggesting networkmanager-wireguard-git! I have successfully set up a WireGuard tunnel with it – this post is submitted using the tunnel.

Some small quirks remain that I would like to mention for future reference:

On the “VPN” tab, you can set a DNS entry (optional). When setting a DNS service through this option, it is added as an alternative to the list of your already used DNS addresses. This enables DNS leaks, i. e. your DNS requests may not go through the VPN tunnel. In order to force DNS queries into the tunnel, set up one/more DNS servers on the “IPv4 Settings“ or “IPv6 Settings” tab with a search domain ’~’ and set the method to “Automatic (VPN) addresses only” on these tabs.

The definition of the tunnel IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on the “VPN” tab is sufficient. There is no need to repeat them on the IPv4/6 Settings tab.

When connecting the tunnel, the list of network connections in nm-connection-editor shows the same tunnel setup a second time, with a different name, under the header of WireGuard. Same goes for nmcli connection show. The entry is removed once you disconnect.

Last edited by Condor (2020-08-04 07:06:00)

Board footer