You are not logged in.

#1 2002-08-27 07:11:26

sarah31
Website

I pooped but i have unresolved issues

Ok install was easy. Most of the setup configuration went ok. Base system went in okay, x too, network is set up and pacman works great.

But as i turn in much past my bedtime i still have a few issues that are unresolved and i basically have run out of ideas.

1. Gnome2 and gdm are installed but for the life of me i have not been able to get it to boot. Oviously I am missing some easy tweak that i have not had to deal with before that is holding me up.

2. I use vim as a file editor but as user I have not been able to write/create/change files as user. I have absolutely no clue here how to correct this but I need vim. vim is my life blood.

3. Where the heck is my cdrw? i created it in fstab i have no put in the kernel for the scsi emulation but it is not even picked up at all (even though the two other distro i have used it in both identified it before scsi emulation was set up). Again despite setting this up in Gentoo and Libranet i have no clue where to start here when it is not even showing up.

<edit> 4. i almost forgot. could someone refresh me on the non debian way to configure alsa:) This has slipped my mind but i simply must have sound smile

These are my only issues and I am sure that these are pure lack of knowledge of arch's filesystem and configging rules on my part but i would welocome some assistance on getting past these.

PS I would have done a search on the web but this computer (not the one that arch on) is terribly slow and i was busy with arch on the other.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#2 2002-08-27 09:20:25

ody
Website

Re: I pooped but i have unresolved issues

1, have you setup gnome to be run at x startup in your .xinitrc?
2, do you have a home directory setup for this user? sounds like you havnt and  your trying to write to /, to add a home dir just`mkdir /home/user` replace user with the name of the user you use, then `chown user /home/user`, however I would suggest doing `userdel user` then `useradd -m user` the m flag creates default home dir and .bashrc stuff etc..
3, hrmm Im guessing you added it to gstab as an automount device? if not your need to mount it manualy whenever u put a cd in.
4, I really do have no idea about alsa.. I use pc97 kernel mod.. and Ive never seen the need to use oss, alsa.. etc.

hope all that helps.

#3 2002-08-27 13:46:44

sarah31
Website

1. i thought i had (i thought i had fluxbox set too as a test). but nothing came up all i get is an XDM login. At this point i can enter my info the screen goes back then flips back to the login screen and i have to drop to console. Right now i can only get a usable x (the basic twm) via setting my inittab to runlevel 3. I must be missing some simple setting that I have never had to deal with on this one.

2. is solved i deleted my user and created it properly (once again a little rust here)

3. I think I have a handle on this one too.

4. Well alsa isn't manditory but I have found that it makes the best use of my onboard chip. OSS worked in Libranet but I know less about setting that up than I do alsa. I am guessing here that the setup command is different that's all.

I am very impressed with the speed and I am looking forward to getting WM or DE running to really give it a good run and get folding protiens (very important that i get back to doing this!).

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2002-08-27 16:00:47

apeiro
Daddy
Website

There is some undocumented profiles stuff that you should do with gnome.  I know, I know, it's pretty damn hard to figure out the stuff if there aren't any docs for it.  wink

See http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=15#107, which tells you how to add the KDE profile to the system.  GNOME is exactly the same.  Then edit your ~/.xinitrc and make it say something like this:

#!/bin/sh
export GDK_USE_XFT=1
exec gnome-session

Then 'chmod 755 .xinitrc' and run 'startx'.

This thread (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=33) has some tips on getting alsa up and running, too.

#5 2002-08-27 16:08:28

sarah31
Website

thanks alot. I have printed out the sources you provided. Once I get reoriented with AL I will ask you what I can do to help you folks out. I may not have coding skills but I can help in other ways smile

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer