You are not logged in.

#6901 2020-07-27 19:34:58

Palanthis
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Ferdinand wrote:

Hello everybody!

I'm a long time Manjaro user and Arch Wiki reader :-)

It has become time to go flat out and learn properly.
I look forward to get to know this community, and - to the best of my efforts - contribute.

Welcome to real Arch. Glad to have you!

#6902 2020-07-31 02:22:47

csts

Hello, used Debian for 18 years, until I saw the light and used Arch for a while.
After I managed to break it, I installed Manjaro and used it for a year, but now I'm back with Arch.
This forum along with Arch Wiki was always a thesaurus for me, yes, even when I used Debian.
Arch is the way.

#6903 2020-07-31 15:15:10

icar

Hello, I've been using Arch for some time now. Finally made the decision to check the forums.
See you around smile

#6904 2020-07-31 16:04:40

tank

Hello,

It has been a while since I post in a forum; I guess that the fact that I created an account to participate in the Arch Linux forums should mean something. I am also not much of a "posting in an intro thread" kind of guy, but then again, that should mean something...

What I am trying to say is that I am excited for having jumped into the Arch Linux world. I have always played around with Linux distros, but never as my main OS. After a few months of running Arch (and many other distros) on a VM, I have decided to give Arch Linux a shot as my main OS.

Happy to be here and looking forward to contributing.

Best,
tank

#6905 2020-08-02 04:31:05

chaseleif

Hallo,

I got into computers around '98, and before long I was learning C and reverse engineering shareware in my spare time.
I stopping using computers, went probably about 15 years without touching a computer, then I started getting back into computing a few years ago.
In May I finished a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, and I'm starting grad school this month.

Among others, I've used OpenSUSE, Manjaro, and most recently Ubuntu. I've made do with each one, for a while, before loading something new when I got tired of it or had dumb problems.
Ubuntu was OK, I was planning on looking for something else anyway, then my toolbar started intermittently disappearing. So, it was time to sit down and find a distro I am actually happy with.

I've been using Arch for about a week, and I have to say Arch Linux is my favorite distro thus far! I have everything I need, nothing I don't, and everything is configured for me and my system.

Arch Linux is sweet!

#6906 2020-08-04 14:12:43

DoodMann

Hi, I'm a teenager which have a very old laptop, so considered using Arch! Great by the way, currently using a more, stable LTS Kernel instead of the rolling release. Hopefully I'd stay here a little longer!

certified noob with Arch-based distros, first time using Arch itself. 17 years old.

#6907 2020-08-11 07:45:27

alintram

Hello hello everyone!

Finally installed Arch! :)

It took me a week to install it and making it to desktop is so satisfying! :D
It was not hard at all, it took so long because I was so scared about making mistakes and breaking something, haha.
Even checking checksums was a challenge for me ( you know reading a message that it there is a possibility of malicious image gave me so much anxiety (in a good way, haha) ).
I even did several Arch installs on virtualbox ( 1st one was pathetic, haha could not configure wifi ) until I was satisfied that I understood everything.

Glad to be an Arch user now and be able explore it and tinker with it myself. ;P

#6908 2020-08-13 11:16:21

m9p909

Hi everyone!

I've been using Ubuntu  for around 5 years, switched to Arch for more configurations and to understand stuff better! Installed perfectly, got my Xfce set up and most things are pretty smooth.

See you around!

#6909 2020-08-13 16:43:08

BakkFail

Hi everyone,

Previous Ubuntu/Windows 10 user, grew tired of both (f*** you snap) and installed Arch and very happy with it !
Glad to be part of the community !

#6910 2020-08-14 06:27:35

tzihad

আসসালামু আলাইকুম

#6911 2020-08-15 11:54:54

FatalErrorDriveB

Hello everyone. I've just installed Arch for the first time. To be honest I'm surprised I was able to make it work, it took my a good 10 hours to get things fully up and running. That damn wifi was so difficult to make work. But I'm up and running now, running a xfce4 desktop and really enjoying it.

So far things with Arch seem really nice, and outside of the occasional troubleshooting; mainly when still setting things up, I really like the OS. I don't know how active I'll be on these forums but I wanted to say hi.

#6912 2020-08-15 12:00:18

Jermu

Hello Arch Linux forum!

I put this in my signature, but I'll open it up a bit anyway.

Few years back I decided to try out Linux and I went directly for Debian on a used laptop I had bought. I managed to break it and switched to Ubuntu, but after a while I went back to Debian. I still wanted to experiment with other distros and I tried to install Arch on yet another machine and while I was somewhat successful, I couldn't get my wireless internet to work (I have no ethernet). After days of struggle, I gave up.

My main laptop, originally for gaming purposes, ran Windows, but I nope'd out of it after a ridiculously long update/restart loop which culminated in my having to literally watch a commercial for Internet Explorer before I could use my computer again.

I was rocking Manjaro on it as soon as Windows graciously allowed me to reboot.

I then decided to try installing Arch again on my testing/experiment laptop and was successful at configuring wifi on it. A few weeks after that I decided to put Arch on my Manjaro main/gaming machine and that's what I'm typing this post on as we speak, so needless to say, I got wifi to work on this machine as well and I'm quite proud of myself.

It's like Arch is there for you as soon as you possess a working proficiency at reading guides and manuals instead of "I tried and failed, now what?" - Although it's entirely possible I did something wrong in my install anyway.

It's not that Debian or Manjaro or any other distro is really lacking in something for me, but I just had this nagging feeling of not having exactly the kind of control and ownership that, on a conceptual level for me, is what Linux sort of is about. No noticeable performance differences or anything, it's just that something felt "off".

I like free software and while FSF says Arch doesn't make the cut, I'm currently satisfied with my

Your GNU/Linux is infected with 23 proprietary packages out of 825 total installed.
Your Stallman Freedom Index is 97.21

I'd like to be able to contribute to Arch, and I'm looking to post a question in the forums if I can reproduce an issue I faced (intermittent freezes), but I want to be thorough before posting. After that I'm hoping I can find a way to give back to the community, possibly by explaining how my wifi finally got working in case people have similar issues. I welcome any other suggestions as well, I'd consider myself to not be a 100% noob, more like 85% noob, but more than willing to experiment and give back if I can.

I use GNOME desktop and like to program in C, although I'm not very good at it.

And that was my long-winded way of saying 'Hello'.

My Linux Journey:
Debian (broke it) -> Ubuntu (Didn't like it) -> Debian (Didn't break it) -> Manjaro (You see where this is going) -> Arch

#6913 2020-08-15 12:34:51

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Jermu wrote:

I'd like to be able to contribute to Arch, and I'm looking to post a question in the forums if I can reproduce an issue I faced (intermittent freezes), but I want to be thorough before posting. After that I'm hoping I can find a way to give back to the community, possibly by explaining how my wifi finally got working in case people have similar issues. I welcome any other suggestions as well, I'd consider myself to not be a 100% noob, more like 85% noob, but more than willing to experiment and give back if I can.

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask questions or try to help others, but please don't post "how to" topics. That kind of content belongs in the wiki.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#6914 2020-08-15 12:37:47

Jermu

please don't post "how to" topics. That kind of content belongs in the wiki.

Duly noted, thanks for the heads up.

My Linux Journey:
Debian (broke it) -> Ubuntu (Didn't like it) -> Debian (Didn't break it) -> Manjaro (You see where this is going) -> Arch

#6915 2020-08-19 15:13:40

mackilanu

Hello there!

I have been an Arch user for over a year now, and i enjoy it very much.

Firstly i want to say thank you to every person that contribute to Arch in any way, and for helping improving this great operating system.

I have use Linux for about 8 years, when I as a 12 year old Minecraft player wanted to host a server for a few friends, and after that i was hooked on GNU/Linux.

I ran Debian Stable before Arch, so i guess 7 years on Debian and 1 year on Arch. I am very happy with my decision to move to Arch and get the latest software, the AUR (By far the best packaging solution I've seen ) and Pacman (The speed is incredible)

I am a programmer, and i would love to contribute to this awesome community where i can, maybe packaging, Pacman, the ISO, the forum. Whatever needs to be improved. What is the best way to begin my journey as an Arch developer?

#6916 2020-08-19 15:27:44

ewaller
Administrator

mackilanu wrote:

I am a programmer, and i would love to contribute to this awesome community where i can, maybe packaging, Pacman, the ISO, the forum. Whatever needs to be improved. What is the best way to begin my journey as an Arch developer?

Participate here and on the mail lists.  Package things for the AUR.  Adopt orphaned AUR projects and give them love.  Update and maintain the WiKi.  File bug reports.  Get to know a trusted user or two, or a forum moderator.

Last edited by ewaller (2020-08-19 15:28:58)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6917 2020-08-19 15:57:54

mackilanu

ewaller wrote:

Participate here and on the mail lists.  Package things for the AUR.  Adopt orphaned AUR projects and give them love.  Update and maintain the WiKi.  File bug reports.  Get to know a trusted user or two, or a forum moderator.

I will start by being an active user on the forums, and learn how to create PKGBUILDS, and have a look at the wiki and what i can contribute on there. I think that sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the reply!

#6918 2020-08-20 19:54:56

MadTice

Hello everyone!
I’ve used several Arch based distro’s over the years but I finally installed the real deal.
Been using MacOS for over 10 years and GNU/Linux (off the side) for 3or4, mostly (Ubuntu) on servers. It is time to start delving into the desktop/laptop realm of Linux, at least for private use.
Other Arch based distro’s installed so much junk that After a couple of Manjaro’s, ArchLabs and ArcoLinux installs, I’m here: Arch. Me: noob enough to ask questions but a great ddg-er wink

Install is 3 weeks old and everything (mostly big_smile) works!

Last edited by MadTice (2020-08-20 19:56:15)

#6919 2020-08-21 12:08:47

dj_jaz_1225

Hi there!
I'm an Arch newbie (only a couple months old) but came straight out of Kubuntu after i got hit with an infected drive. i saw my browser starting to do weird stuff and the parent of the owner of that drive then decided to let me know there are 15 viruses inside that drive....

so i was pushed to burn my entire "house" to the ground and build anew, Arch! I used a base installation with LARBS (Lukesmith's Auto Rice Bootstrapping Script) to get a gui and some new programs i never heard of. a bit of a learning curve with the keyboard bindings, but a very good choice for those who want minimalist and adventure big_smile

anyway, I hope to provide assistance with others in any way that benifits the arch society. smile

|._ |-/\[] - |._ [. [.] -| - _|.] ] - -.|.- [.\/-.|].-(\/)
live long and prosper!

#6920 2020-08-23 09:43:12

swodig112

Hi!
I've been using Linux for 3 years. Started with Linux mint. After a while I tried Kali Linux then moved to arch.
currently using BlackArch but they're pretty much the same, right?

I'm 16 years old by the way. Check my newbie style project smile

#6921 2020-08-25 21:05:08

Nassiel

Hello everyone,

I'm very pleased to join to this awesome community. I've been with linux for 14 years, first with Ubuntu but they moved to unity ¬¬, then CentOS 5-7, later Fedora 28-32 and then finally, arch linux and I feel I reached the proper distro for me smile

So... nice to meet you!

#6922 2020-08-29 10:11:09

eriol

Hello everyone,

Since I went to University, I started to use various distros, but after a while I only used Lubuntu. This year I felt the need to switch to a more customizable distro, so, here I am, and I don't think I will go back.

I am using Arch since three months now, and I really appreciate it.

#6923 2020-08-30 03:27:01

nexusanphans

Hi everyone.
I've been using Arch for some time now. Nice to meet you.

#6924 2020-09-03 13:30:36

fermarch

Hi big_smile I installed arch on my birthday. Been using linux since ~8 years, though I just started actually messing around in it. Journey of discovery started with trying to make kde connect work on my ubuntu, installed kubuntu, hated how slow it was and how so many things didn't work, so installed manjaro kde. Then finally had to install windows 10 (and delete manjaro kde because windows) and decided to take the dive and just install arch lol

sudo apt install arch-btw

#6925 2020-09-04 03:40:42

UserBlackBox

Hello

Board footer