You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-24 16:47:34

matt-3

All USB Ports Become Unresponsive (Dell Precision 5540)

At times when using my system I find that the USB ports become completely unresponsive. If I had devices plugged in they cease to function, and no new devices are recognized.

lsusb shows only root hubs and no devices even when devices are plugged in:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I believe that this dmesg output may be relevant:

[129614.019814] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xHCI host not responding to stop endpoint command.
[129614.019816] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: USBSTS: EINT
[129614.020017] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xHCI host controller not responding, assume dead
[129614.020022] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: HC died; cleaning up
[129614.020035] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[129618.473646] usb 1-4: USB disconnect, device number 3
[129618.474101] usb 1-12: USB disconnect, device number 4

Additionally, when a device is plugged in, dmesg shows nothing new.

Rebooting solves the problem, but I'm looking for a better solution.

“In science it often happens that scientists say, ‘You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,’ and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again… I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.” —Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote address

#2 2020-07-24 16:50:55

CarbonChauvinist
Website

Re: All USB Ports Become Unresponsive (Dell Precision 5540)

Was this bought with Linux pre-installed? Ubuntu correct? Does the same behavior present itself with the default OEM ubunutu install image? Are you at the latest BIOS/UEFI?

Last edited by CarbonChauvinist (2020-07-24 16:51:08)

"the wind-blown way, wanna win? don't play"

#3 2020-07-24 17:33:45

matt-3

Sorry, I should have clarified that. I bought it with Windows 10 installed and installed Arch Linux alongside it. Additionally, my BIOS is up to date.

“In science it often happens that scientists say, ‘You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,’ and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again… I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.” —Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote address

#4 2020-07-24 18:20:54

CarbonChauvinist
Website

Please post an entire journal from an affected boot, those better versed at parsing logs may be able to offer more insight.

I can say, while the Precision line is excellent, the BIOS/UEFI has been known to be somewhat buggy (at least on earlier iterations, i.e. 5510).

I'd check your log for lines something along the lines of "kernel: usb: port power management may be unreliable". I have those warnings in my journal as well on my 5510 - I don't use many usb peripherals though so I can't speak to your specific issue. This stack-exchange link may give some more details about what may be happening underneath.

Additionally check the BIOS/UEFI setup as there are a bevy of options to go through - some that deal specifically with USB power options (also check Thunderbolt settings too).

As an aside do you have an nvidia quadro in yours? Or did you get onboard video only version?

I'm under the impression that there are some device specific "fixes" that are applied to Dell's ubuntu versions - you may want to see if you can track down their iso and see if it presents different behavior.

Last edited by CarbonChauvinist (2020-07-24 19:05:46)

#5 2020-07-24 20:15:49

matt-3

I'd check your log for lines something along the lines of "kernel: usb: port power management may be unreliable".

Yes, I have that in my logs. I read your link, but it seems that there's not much actionable information (someone says to "observe the port assignments as you plug/unplug various things" but I wouldn't know what to do even if I knew which port was the problem).

Additionally check the BIOS/UEFI setup as there are a bevy of options to go through - some that deal specifically with USB power options (also check Thunderbolt settings too).

Checking the BIOS setup is a good idea; I'll try that. I felt like it was a Linux problem because I haven't had this issue on Windows 10, but that doesn't rule out BIOS/Linux interaction issues (as I know from my NVMe drives having not been recognized by Linux).

And yes, I have the Quadro. I can't get Arch to recognize it, so maybe checking Dell's Ubuntu for clues on how to get it to work is a good idea.
Do you have the Dell's Ubuntu and a Quadro that is recognized? It would be good to know if there's something to this idea.

Anyway, the whole log's here (4.1mb). I've removed thousands upon thousands of lines (>83mb) of "paOperation NULL in WaitForOperationCompletion" from Discord and "brave has no capability of surrounding text feature".

Thanks for the help and info!

#6 2020-07-24 20:18:41

matt-3

Actually, now that I'm looking, I see (from this thread, which may not be reliable) that Dell's Ubuntu is apparently stock. What made you think it was modified (I believe you more than that forum post, but I'm curious)?

#7 2020-07-24 23:16:33

CarbonChauvinist
Website

matt-3 wrote:

What made you think it was modified (I believe you more than that forum post, but I'm curious)?

Well, don't do that - I'm just another forum post after all. smile

I have the 5510. I'll have to go back and dig through and see if I still have the hdd/install media or can download it (it'll be an old 14.04 version though).

I'm pretty sure I remembered that the ubuntu that ships with a Precision has some customizations applied that are not defaults when using a stock ubuntu image. These threads also imply as much but are far from definitive.

You have a lot going on in your logs. I'm not sure why you have all that systemd spam - others may suggest some fixes. And it looks like Dell has done a lot more with fixing the ACPI errors that plagued the 5510 for instance. (I have onboard video only.)

Double check the uefi usb and thunderbolt settings would still be my suggestion.

Also def. try taking TLP or any other power management tool out of the equation. Make sure it's disabled completely - simply disabling the service sometimes still has the changes applied. A lot of weird issues are caused by improper pm settings. Does the issue happen on main power? Or only when on battery? Or both plugged in and battery?

Last edited by CarbonChauvinist (2020-07-24 23:25:04)

#8 2020-07-25 02:15:10

matt-3

Yes, the linked threads clarify that Dell have their own adapted ISO. Thanks.
Unfortunately, though, they also show how a download for that ISO is not available. sad

Disabling TLP sounds like a good idea but may be a red herring as you've alluded to; I've had the issue both while plugged in and on battery.

If the BIOS setup route gets me anywhere, I'll be sure to add the info here.

#9 2020-08-11 07:24:52

metabubble

I had the same problem with my slightly older precision and a Lenovo T495s. I gave up on the Precision, but with the 495s, passing iommu=pt to the kernel vial grub did the trick.

You can also try running

rmmod xhci_pci; rmmof xhci_hcd; modprobe xhci_hcd; modprobe xhci_pci

whenever this happens. I made a bash alias.

#10 2020-08-11 14:41:19

matt-3

I did that, but it didn't seem to work. However, rebooting isn't much more trouble.

What would the iommu parameter do? I'm curious how that helps, because I might try it.

Related to this issue on my device, I haven't had it again. I'm not completely sure what changed exactly (I didn't find anything to change in the BIOS).

#11 2020-08-11 20:59:10

metabubble

matt-3 wrote:

Related to this issue on my device, I haven't had it again. I'm not completely sure what changed exactly (I didn't find anything to change in the BIOS).

I had issues with usb because of iommu errors. PT means that all devices are just passed through without any VT-D. As long as you don't try to pass hardware into VMs, you should see no significant difference.

Board footer