You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-12 13:58:03

G0rdon
Website

Arch Linux is not a self-healing distro?

I recently changed to Arch Linux(2-3 months ago), since I installed the OS some problems with orphaned blocks and others disk inconsistencies,  make me reinstall arch multiple times.My previous distro is Debian and I never experienced any of these issues. Is Arch a unstable  and can't do self-healing like others Linux distro? I know that arch is a minimalist distro, someone can recommend me packages to maintain a healthy installation?

Note: I'm not a native English speaker, sorry for any grammar mistake.

#2 2020-08-12 14:06:54

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Arch Linux is not a self-healing distro?

Sounds like faulty hardware to me. Please post the results of a long smart test.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2020-08-12 14:13:41

G0rdon
Website

Yes, my hard disk is not 100% ok. I'm talking about the capability of deal with this problems and find the best way to solve it or do something to help. But when this problems occurs my entire system start to work so bad that I have to reinstall. This the "self-healing" I'm talking about. Thanks for the reply.

#4 2020-08-12 14:36:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There is no magic in any distro.  Perhaps your other distro was running some software that mitigated your disk errors.  You could certainly run the same software in arch, but it's not preinstalled or preconfigured in arch ... nothing is.

So define what you mean by "self-healing" and perhaps we can help.  Alternatively, actually define the problem with actual error messages or command output rather than a summary or interpretation of "some problems with orphaned blocks and others disk inconsistencies".  Be specific.

There are filesystems which advertise "self-healing" traits.  And those filesystems are just as available in arch as in other linux distros (e.g., btrfs).  But if you used one of those filesystems for the other distro but not in arch, then the difference has nothing to do with the distro but rather your choice of filesystem.

Similarly, you can acheive what might be described as "self-healing" with some RAID configurations.  But just like filesystems, this is not distro-specific (except to the degree that some installer of another distro may have automatically used RAID and/or a specific filesystem, while in arch you make these choices for yourself).

Last edited by Trilby (2020-08-12 14:41:18)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-08-12 14:40:08

seth

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fsck#fstab_options

That being said: this is insane.
The disk is falling apart, sectors get re-allocated out of some reserve but you lose the data that was on the failing sector and at some point there's no more reserve.
Re-installation or actually any disk writes will make things worse. Replace the disk.

#6 2020-08-12 15:13:03

G0rdon
Website

Trilby wrote:

There is no magic in any distro.  Perhaps your other distro was running some software that mitigated your disk errors.  You could certainly run the same software in arch, but it's not preinstalled or preconfigured in arch ... nothing is.

So define what you mean by "self-healing" and perhaps we can help.  Alternatively, actually define the problem with actual error messages or command output rather than a summary or interpretation of "some problems with orphaned blocks and others disk inconsistencies".  Be specific.

There are filesystems which advertise "self-healing" traits.  And those filesystems are just as available in arch as in other linux distros (e.g., btrfs).  But if you used one of those filesystems for the other distro but not in arch, then the difference has nothing to do with the distro but rather your choice of filesystem.

Similarly, you can acheive what might be described as "self-healing" with some RAID configurations.  But just like filesystems, this is not distro-specific (except to the degree that some installer of another distro may have automatically used RAID and/or a specific filesystem, while in arch you make these choices for yourself).

Thanks for the reply. To define what's "self-healing" I will illustrate: After a day of work I finally shutdown my computer(I type "shutdown" in the terminal"), in the next day, I boot my computer normally, but a message appears in my screen: /dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY. (i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4.
After running fsck my computer back to the normal operation, but unfortunately I realize that some files disappear , in the most of cases is a inoffensive files, but sometimes a important file disappear and the system start to fail. In a day with luck I can found the lost files in lost+found folder. So self-healing ,in this case, is do all these things below automatically:
1. Run fsck (In case of inconsistencies);
2.Recover the files in lost+found;
3. And start the system normally (without "RUN fsck manually..");
Someone knows a script that make something like this?

#7 2020-08-12 15:21:34

ewaller
Administrator

You might also tell us about your partitioning scheme, the file systems you are using, and whether this is a spinning or solid state disk.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2020-08-12 15:38:01

G0rdon
Website

ewaller wrote:

You might also tell us about your partitioning scheme, the file systems you are using, and whether this is a spinning or solid state disk.

The output of:

fdisk -l 
Disk /dev/sda: 465.76 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Disk model: SAMSUNG HD502HJ 
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xd1143e87

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1  *         2048   1435647   1433600   700M 83 Linux
/dev/sda2         1435648 974723071 973287424 464.1G 83 Linux
/dev/sda3       974723072 976773167   2050096  1001M 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Output of:

lsblk -f  
NAME   FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                                           
|-sda1 ext4   1.0         a36a7601-c6a5-4461-b3e9-6cc495e48fbd  622.6M     0% /run/media/root/a36a7601-c6a5-44
|-sda2 ext4   1.0         39685efb-d27b-488b-a103-cd95ea927e4b  426.3G     1% /
`-sda3 swap   1           5329ff13-ac66-49f7-b6b4-20bad8b00131                
sr0              

#9 2020-08-12 16:24:07

seth

Slithery wrote:

Sounds like faulty hardware to me. Please post the results of a long smart test.

seth wrote:

The disk is falling apart, sectors get re-allocated out of some reserve but you lose the data that was on the failing sector and at some point there's no more reserve.
Re-installation or actually any disk writes will make things worse. Replace the disk.

Apparently fsck is auto-run on start but fails because it itself encounters IO errors.
If there just some bad sectors on the disk, you can tell the FS on creation to skip those BUT if this is an aggrevating situation and certainly if all reserve blocks have been used: replace the disk!
There is no magic self-healing.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba … ad_sectors

Edit: this sentence no verb

Last edited by seth (2020-08-12 16:35:16)

#10 2020-08-12 16:31:26

ewaller
Administrator

Thanks G0rdon, that looks pretty basic.  I wanted to check if you were using something towards the fringes like btrfs, or Reiser.  ext4 should be rock solid.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2020-08-12 17:28:30

G0rdon
Website

seth wrote:
Slithery wrote:

seth wrote:

Apparently fsck is auto-run on start but fails because it itself encounters IO errors.
If there just some bad sectors on the disk, you can tell the FS on creation to skip those BUT if this is an aggrevating situation and certainly if all reserve blocks have been used: replace the disk!
There is no magic self-healing.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba … ad_sectors

Edit: this sentence no verb

Thanks for the reply.  I will follow your suggestion

#12 2020-08-12 17:30:34

G0rdon
Website

ewaller wrote:

Thanks G0rdon, that looks pretty basic.  I wanted to check if you were using something towards the fringes like btrfs, or Reiser.  ext4 should be rock solid.

Thanks for the support anyway big_smile  big_smile

#13 2020-08-12 19:05:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

If this is, in fact, a support thread, please edit your thread title to accurately describe your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer