You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-07 14:45:30

rdoggsv
Website

Replace chmod 666 /dev/dri/card0 with udev rule [Solved]

Hello everyone ! , im configuring my xorg.conf to use 3d, i have a S3 Unichrome Pro (K8M800) chip , and i have it working right now , but in the manual that i read to do this theres a hack that i want to do the right way:

Link

a. First, the permission issue.  This is a dirty hack, but I have not taken any time to learn the innards of udev.  As root, type "chmod 666 /dev/dri/card0".  This will enable a regular user to use dri.  I know I should fix it via udev's config, and I intend on figuring that out in the near future and posting an update to this HOWTO.  For now, I put this command after "modprobe via" in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

So i was wondering if maybe someone can help me to do the udev trick, as i have in my rc.local the line but if this can be done via udev i want to do it that way.

I was reading the udev article at the wiki but with all that KERNEL %k %n and that stuff i have no idea how to do it, if u think that its better for me to learn this the hard way maybe some usefull link will be good big_smile

Thank you.

#2 2006-09-08 02:00:50

rdoggsv
Website

Re: Replace chmod 666 /dev/dri/card0 with udev rule [Solved]

Hello i also need to do this because gnomebaker would not burn if i dont chmod 666 /dev/hdd , but im filling the rc.local with all this stuff , i will keep looking for udev rules tongue (if this is not about udev rules plz tell me )

thank you

#3 2006-09-08 08:35:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

Starting with /dev/hdd, there is already a rule for this in the default ruleset:

BUS=="ide", KERNEL=="hd[a-z]", SYSFS{removable}=="1", SYSFS{media}=="cdrom*", NAME="%k", GROUP="optical"

This creates /dev/hdd as follows:

brw-rw---- 1 root optical 22, 64 2006-08-10 19:11 /dev/hdd

so all you need to do is add yourself to the optical group. I don't use gnomebaker myself, but the underlying setup is the same for all burning apps.

I was going to post a similar answer for your dri problem as well, because we do have this rule by default:

KERNEL=="card[0-9]*",   NAME="dri/%k", GROUP="video"

which should create /dev/dri/cardN with root:video ownership, but I can't verify that - for some reason, my laptop has

crw-rw---- 1 root root 226, 0 2006-09-08 09:11 /dev/dri/card0

instead i.e. GROUP="video" is not applied. If yours shows up as root:video, however, just add yourself to the video group as well.

#4 2006-09-08 15:19:59

rdoggsv
Website

well thank you , i was forgetting to add my user to the optical and video groups and thats way i was getting all those problems now it is fixed  lol

what u say about dri/card* its true , im using init 3 , then i log in with my normal user, then i startx from there , before the startx the card0 was root.optical , after the startx it is root.root , but i dont have any problems using it as i had earlier  smile

#5 2006-10-22 00:35:40

ar2k7

:shock:  :shock:  :shock: People actually get this video card from hell to work properly under linux?!? Everything I've tried have resulted in a black screen (perhaps different combination of hardware). That page seem to be outdated. You don't mind writing a small howto or something on how you got this working under arch?

Board footer