You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-19 17:25:55

witcher
Website

[Resolved] Unable to login, no method works

Hey everyone!

So I've been running Arch for longer than 2 years at this point. I'm definitely not an inexperienced user, as I like working with the system.
Just a few hours ago I've upgraded my system, restarted it because I was unable to install the packages listed in the "wine-osu" AUR package, and I was unable to login again. I did NOT forget my password, as I've been using this one for my machine for at least over a year now.
Upon trying to use "sudo" with my user on a live usb chroot'ed into my installation I noticed that, as expected, the password still works.
Since I don't remember if I have told PAM to lock my account after a certain amount of tries to log in as a user, I tried to "reset" this by doing a "passwd -u" and also change the password of my account, root and a then newly created one.
Booting my installation again resulted in the same login failure as before, even after setting a very easy password that is near impossible to mistype. I also couldn't log in to the newly created account, and not even as root, so something is up.
I then again booted up my live installation, completely removed the passwords of all accounts in

/etc/shadow

after doing another "passwd -u" just in case, and it completely failed to ask me to provide a password for all three of the accounts tested and immediately told me my login was incorrect.
Another thing I tried was upgrading the whole system with

pacman -Syyu

, but that also didn't help.
I had a look at the output of

journalctl -xe

, but the only output I could find that was related to logging into my accounts was

Aug 19 18:26:37 navi login[493]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM tty1 FOR root, Authentication failure

I'm not at home and am writing this post from my Tails Live Installation, and would very much appreciate any help I can get!

Last edited by witcher (2020-08-19 19:44:58)

#2 2020-08-19 17:37:48

goeb

Re: [Resolved] Unable to login, no method works

#3 2020-08-19 17:48:20

witcher
Website

Thank you very much, I hadn't seen this. That fixed my problem!

#4 2020-08-19 19:03:17

Viev

witcher wrote:

Thank you very much, I hadn't seen this. That fixed my problem!

It looks like I have the same problem, as entering the correct password fails. However I am just started with Linux/Arch and need some guidance how to correct the problem with tally/tally2, how did you fixed it?

#5 2020-08-19 19:22:02

seth

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

@Viev
boot the rescue.target or the installation iso, figure which file(s) in /etc/pam.d reference tally and edit them. Alternatively override them w/ the files provided by the package
("pacman -Qo /path/to/file" tells you which package owns a file and "pacman -Qkk pam" will tell you which files provided by "pam" are altered - you need to arch-chroot if you booted the install iso)

#6 2020-08-19 20:06:00

Viev

seth wrote:

boot the rescue.target or the installation iso, figure which file(s) in /etc/pam.d reference tally and edit them. Alternatively override them w/ the files provided by the package
("pacman -Qo /path/to/file" tells you which package owns a file and "pacman -Qkk pam" will tell you which files provided by "pam" are altered - you need to arch-chroot if you booted the install iso)

Thank you for you're guidance, I found the tally reference. Had setup a delay and lockout of user after three failed logins based on the wiki Lockout user after failed login attempts, after editing/removing that the system boots properly.

#7 2020-08-19 21:27:21

siriusb

Thanks for the info.

I just booted from a pendrive and found a /etc/pam.d/system-login.pacnew file. Backed up the original file (with tally2 references in it) and replaced  with pacnew file.
After reboot I was able to login again.

Last edited by siriusb (2020-08-19 21:30:24)

#8 2020-08-20 14:56:30

Abovegame

Thanks you so much for opening this thread!

The problem occurred yesterday after updating the system that it wouldn't let me login after rebooting.

Anyways I just removed any tally references from my system-login file located in /etc/pam.d and this resolved the issue. There are a couple more references in other files, but since I'm not using these methods to login I think it doesn't matter for now.

Board footer