You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-22 16:37:59

NyanarWelden

Trouble with sound in an Asus ZenBook

Hi, I've been having issues with ALSA lately in my ZenBook. Basically, the audio usually doesn't work neither through the built-in speakers nor through the headphone jack. However, on some reboots either one of them or both work. An example: I turn on my laptop, sound doesn't work at all. I reboot it, speaker works but not headphones. I reboot it again, no sound. Another reboot, headphone jack works fine but not the speakers. (There isn't a pattern, and most of the times nothing works).

I have been doing some research on these forums and on the Arch Wiki page for ALSA troubleshooting and I believe that there might be two sound cards (one for the HDMI audio and the other one for regular output) which might be switching order randomly:

If you have no sound on startup, this may be because your system has multiple sound cards, and their order may sometimes change on startup.

However, the solution provided in the wiki does not work. Some useful info:

• I have PulseAudio installed and I've tried pavucontrol without success.

• There isn't an XX-alsa.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/. In fact, the modprobe.d folder is empty.

• ~/.asoundrc doesn't exist.

• I have tried deleting /etc/asound.conf, and now it doesn't exist, but the attempt was unsuccessful.

• Output of lspci -vnn | grep -A 1 -i audio:

00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:02c8] (prog-if 80)
            DeviceName: Onboard - Sound

If you need more info, please ask. Feel free to move it to Laptops or to NC, but I think it belongs here for now. Thanks for the help!

#2 2020-08-22 19:40:43

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Trouble with sound in an Asus ZenBook

Welcome to the boards, what do you get for

sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*
aplay -lL
amixer -c0
pacmd list-cards
pacmd list-sinks

if possible from a working and a "broken" setup.

#3 2020-08-22 19:57:30

NyanarWelden

Re: Trouble with sound in an Asus ZenBook

Unfortunately I only have access to my broken setup. The outputs of these commands are here.

Board footer