You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-22 06:50:10

Legogris

[SOLVED] What's up with linux 5.8.2.arch1-1?

I noticed that most recent version in the repo  5.8.2.arch1-1 is already flagged out of date, and therefore a pacman upgrade won't upgrade from 5.8.1. It seems virtualbox host modules are only providing a kernel module for 5.8.2 and not 5.8.1, which means I am currently unable to use virtualbox.

Last edited by Legogris (2020-08-23 02:43:38)

#2 2020-08-22 06:59:19

GaKu999

Re: [SOLVED] What's up with linux 5.8.2.arch1-1?

What?
That’s not how pacman works...I recently updated to 5.8.2...

Flagging out of date is a reminder for the packager/maintainer to look out for a newer version, in this case it’s already being done on [testing]...

Right now it’s only quite a bunch of really close updates but that’s mostly normal in the very busy schedule of packaging for a rolling release distro...

Eventually it goes to [core] if proven stable and yada yada...

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#3 2020-08-22 12:41:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You are either doing partial upgrades or you are using a broken mirror.

In either case, you will get much better help here if you present actual commands and error messages (while assuming there might be a problem on your end) rather than posting essentially flame-bait complaints based on your incorrect assumptions.

"What's up with linux 5.8.2.arch1-1?"  It's a kernel package, and it's in the repos.  That's whats up with it.  There's nothing remotely out of the ordinary with that.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-08-22 12:42:57)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2020-08-23 02:43:24

Legogris

First time I saw this behavior and wrongly assumed behavior of pacman had changed  since even Syyy didn't find anything newer.  Broken mirror was indeed the answer. Thanks.

#5 2020-08-23 02:52:45

loqs

There is no pacman -Syyyu,  it is no different to pacman -Syyu.  If you get a different result between pacman -Syu and pacman -Syyu then the mirror is broken unless you have reason to believe the local database or time is wrong.

Last edited by loqs (2020-08-23 02:53:36)

#6 2020-08-23 03:27:03

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

loqs wrote:

There is no pacman -Syyyu,  it is no different to pacman -Syyu.  If you get a different result between pacman -Syu and pacman -Syyu then the mirror is broken unless you have reason to believe the local database or time is wrong.

Just to add to this,
pacman -Sy: downloads the databases if newer than the local timestamps
pacman -Syy: downloads the databases regardless of the local timestamps

Adding more "y" flags is not a way to emphasize to pacman how badly you want it to download new databases. However, you can file a feature request on the pacman-dev mailing list to support more y flags. For example, it might be useful for pacman to become sentient and take over the internet to scour all connected systems for databases when one million y flags are passed. I'm sure that Allan will initially resist the idea, but a calmly reasoned argument may just sway him.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#7 2020-08-23 06:20:55

GaKu999

Umm, pacinator then?
All hail pacman, now every thing has ArchLinux in it!

Just use 42 y flags, pacman will fetch packages from the future and tell you the meaning of life.

Spoiler: nope, very likely a typo, but the chaos was unleashed...

The wiki covers the reason for certain flags:

tl;dr
Normally pacman -Syu.
If database got botched pacman -Syyu.
If changed mirrors and the new one that works is outdated but you have no other choice pacman -Syyuu
This is a caveman’s like explanation but those are the reasons when I had to use each...

Still, read man pacman and the wiki, it’s quite fulfilling to know how things work.

To get a good mirrorlist you can use reflector, which is again, mentioned in the wiki...

In fact the wiki IS the place to search for information, in the forum the information gets buried quite quickly by a gazillion issue threads, lately about ignored .pacnews...
And the worse part is that since things change awfully quickly they become outdated...like a YouTube tutorial for ArchLinux...

Just some hints tongue
Now sleep solved thread and get buried by threads...

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

Board footer