You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-21 10:46:09

mjwurtz

Login fails after update because pam_tally2 is missing

Hi there,
I upgraded (yay -Suy) my system this morning, and it looking at the packages, it seemed to me that some things will need a reboot.  But being distracted by some urgent family questions :-), the laptop hibernates before I come back.
No worry, just wake it and type the password to find the graphic interface again... Ooops ! authentication failed... hmm time to reboot, but without other possibility than a harsh reset
Boot ok, some complaints about the disk, but at first view, nothing bad and... Authentication failed again in gdm and on terminal interface... Strange.
The usual tricks (verify keyboard layout, boot on usb key + arch-chroot and reinitialize password) didn't change anything...

Looking at journalctl, i discovered that /usr/lib/security/pam_tally2.so was not found. And yes, this file missed from my disk, along with /usr/bin/pam_tally2

Copying both files from another system solved the issue.

Does anybody have the same problem, or can give an explanation ?

--
Michael

#2 2020-08-21 10:48:37

PhotonX

Re: Login fails after update because pam_tally2 is missing

Nice, I created a topic about the same issue just an hour earlier: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=258357 big_smile Now trying to implement solutions proposed in the comments to the bug report I linked in the end of my post, without success so far...

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#3 2020-08-21 11:59:11

Viev

Had the same problem and Seth helped me fix the problem. As there was a reference to tally2 in the system-login.

Advice of Seth was:
boot the rescue.target or the installation iso, figure which file(s) in /etc/pam.d reference tally and edit them. Alternatively override them w/ the files provided by the package
("pacman -Qo /path/to/file" tells you which package owns a file and "pacman -Qkk pam" will tell you which files provided by "pam" are altered - you need to arch-chroot if you booted the install iso).

See other posts with similar problems https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=258334 or https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=258313

For me this fixed the problem:

mv /etc/pam.d/system-login /etc/pam.d/system-login.broken
mv /etc/pam.d/system-login.pacnew /etc/pam.d/system-login

Cause was that it seems the update of Pam to 1.4.0-3 removed the tally/tally2 modules https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/a … 48056.html

Last edited by Viev (2020-08-21 12:00:43)

#4 2020-08-21 12:08:09

PhotonX

The same worked for me, too, now (besides of the fact that the file name is just "login" rather than "system-login" in my case.

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#5 2020-08-21 14:48:09

Scimmia
Fellow

If you ignore your .pacnew files, things break. This is expected behavior.

#6 2020-08-23 15:56:47

mrazster
Website

Scimmia wrote:

For those of us who are fairly new to arch and this specific problem, would care to elaborate on that ?
How do we refrain from having this kind of problem in the future ?

Arch...the way it was meant to be !!

#7 2020-08-23 15:58:33

Scimmia
Fellow

#8 2020-08-23 16:50:31

dslink

OMFG thank you, I was going nuts I was about to rootkit my laptop.

#9 2020-08-23 16:52:15

dslink

mrazster wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

For those of us who are fairly new to arch and this specific problem, would care to elaborate on that ?
How do we refrain from having this kind of problem in the future ?

Something like this used to show on the archlinux.com front page

#10 2020-08-24 16:03:19

citsuac

This issue definitely seems like something worthy of a manual intervention news item.

I did my upgrade, stepped away for a minute then couldn't even log back into my active session! :-(

Sucks to break out the live medium just because I didn't have a chance to read the upgrade log outputs.

#11 2020-08-24 20:21:26

GaKu999

There’s a simple way to be on the safe side as a just in case measure...

I did muscle training so I type sudo pacdiff after each system upgrade, even if there’s nothing at least there’s no way to miss something that way...

So, in doubt, sudo pacdiff...it’s there for a reason...

Hint: it’s on pacman-contrib maybe or pacutils I can’t remember...

.pacnews are already very obvious...an announcement for a bunch of pacnews seems like an overkill...

Edit: from where did I get the pacsaves?

Last edited by GaKu999 (2020-08-24 20:26:11)

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#12 2020-08-24 20:23:04

twelveeighty

dslink wrote:

Something like this used to show on the archlinux.com front page

Nope - there has never been a post on the frontpage telling people to merge .pacnew files. This ALWAYS expected to be done by you.

Scimmia wrote:

^ This is why.

#13 2020-08-24 21:00:33

eschwartz
Fellow

GaKu999 wrote:

They get created when you remove a package, allowing you to restore the configuration files in the event you install the package again.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#14 2020-08-24 22:26:44

GaKu999

eschwartz wrote:
GaKu999 wrote:

They get created when you remove a package, allowing you to restore the configuration files in the event you install the package again.

Huh? Really?
Hmm let me look at man pacman and pacman’s log...

Oh I see, since I only have used pacman -Rns I never let pacman keep anything! lol
I probably thought back then that without -n it just leaves the files in the backup array untouched, lingering around in /etc...

I genuinely didn’t know that .pacsaves where actually a thing!
I must have seen the name once somewhere probably. neutral
Hrmp dammit brain, need a memory update...

Back on topic, I noticed this isn’t solved when the reason it’s quite clear...is there still an issue here?
Or OP vanished?

If the issue was indeed solved remember to append [SOLVED] at the beginning of the tittle and add the issue cause/solution at the end of your first post, so that other people find the solution of that exact issue faster...

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#15 2020-08-25 10:33:22

drrossum

A pam.d/login.pacnew file never got created for me and I'm trying to understand why.

pacman -Qkk util-linux

shows

backup file: util-linux: /etc/pam.d/login (Modification time mismatch)
backup file: util-linux: /etc/pam.d/login (Size mismatch)
util-linux: 506 total files, 0 altered files

Any insight would be appreciated!

Edit: I appears that the version of pam.d/login that I had installed was from 2012-06-01. Chances are that I accidentally overlooked the login.pacnew file 8 years ago

Last edited by drrossum (2020-08-25 10:39:56)

#16 2020-08-25 12:35:52

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

GaKu999 wrote:

Back on topic, I noticed this isn’t solved when the reason it’s quite clear...is there still an issue here?
Or OP vanished?

The OP has indeed vanished (not been back since the first post). I am going to close this now to prevent further discussion and hijacking. mjwurtz, if you come back and would like this to be reopened, please use the Report link.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer