You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-07 18:54:02

Orific

pacman does not work any more [solved]

I have not used arch for a while (about 5-6 weeks). And when I booted the partition, I had to do a fsck manually (it may be related to the problem). Now after logging in normally, I try to update my system via pacman:

# pacman -Syu

But nothing happens. When I try to get info on a package:

# pacman -Qi <packagename>
Package <packagename> was not found.

What could be the cause of all this ?
Thanx.

#2 2006-09-07 20:44:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: pacman does not work any more [solved]

Sounds like your /var/lib data got damaged somehow? Try just doing "pacman -Sy" and see if it updates... -Syu may fail because it sees nothing as installed...

#3 2006-09-07 21:15:32

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

/var/lib/pacman/local is where pacman keeps all installed package data at. If its gone, punch your filsystem in the face, backup (/etc/ and /home preferably) and reinstall. There's no safe way to restore that database.

It would be nice if pacman kept a backup of this directory since it is so important.

#4 2006-09-08 02:52:13

Orific

Thank you for your answers.

phrakture wrote:

Sounds like your /var/lib data got damaged somehow? Try just doing "pacman -Sy" and see if it updates... -Syu may fail because it sees nothing as installed...

The syncing is done with or without "-u" (I was not clear enough sorry). Only after it is finished, nothing happens.

Penguin wrote:

/var/lib/pacman/local is where pacman keeps all installed package data at. If its gone, punch your filsystem in the face, backup (/etc/ and /home preferably) and reinstall. There's no safe way to restore that database.

Yeah that must be the problem: my /var/lib/pacman/local is empty.
Since it seems I have no choice, I will reinstall (although not immediately: the system has no other problem and is usable as is).

Board footer