You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-25 07:55:37

ben-arch

[Solved] After upgrade - cannot login

Just upgraded (full) successfully.

Now when trying to login, my passwords (user, root) are not recognized and I can not login.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Ben

Edit:
have seen this posts :
"Login fails after update because pam_tally2 is missing" - irrelevant. Not using a graphical login manager
"Login in TTY and loading X fails after update" = (ir)relevant.  System starts OK, just cannot login.

Will try this : [Solved]
Replacing /etc/pam.d/login with /etc/pam.d/login.pacnew

Last edited by ben-arch (2020-08-25 10:00:17)

#2 2020-08-25 10:20:03

drrossum

Re: [Solved] After upgrade - cannot login

pacman did not create a login.pacnew file when I updated the util-linux package. I don't understand why, still looking into this...

I manually fixed this by commenting out the line that 'requires' the pam_tally.so module that now no longer exists:

#auth		required	pam_tally.so onerr=succeed file=/var/log/faillog

Anyway, the pam + util-linux update broke the login process for me

Last edited by drrossum (2020-08-25 10:22:39)

#3 2020-08-25 11:45:24

ben-arch

Just updated my second Arch machine.  They were updated last same day - BUT in this second machine, the situation is different -

/etc/pam.d/login *is the same* as the *upgraded* login.pacnew (as exists on the first machine and which is much shorter then the original login file on the first machine).

Of course - no login problems.

Hope this helps some1.

#4 2020-08-25 17:33:45

emphire

I ran into the same problem with /etc/pam.d/system-login

It seems like it would be worth a post on the main page to tell people how to merge the config changes.

#5 2020-08-26 02:15:18

WFV

It seems like it would be worth a post on the main page to tell people how to merge the config changes.

If I'm not mistaken, the assumption is to watch for pacnew files and go from there, probably not a one-size-fits-all pam setup wink

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

#6 2020-08-26 03:22:15

sevk

THank you .
I meet this BUG now . can't login , I edit grub boot cmd , add " single ", boot into recovery , replace the file :

ben-arch wrote:

Just upgraded (full) successfully.

Now when trying to login, my passwords (user, root) are not recognized and I can not login.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Ben

Edit:
have seen this posts :
"Login fails after update because pam_tally2 is missing" - irrelevant. Not using a graphical login manager
"Login in TTY and loading X fails after update" = (ir)relevant.  System starts OK, just cannot login.

Will try this : [Solved]

Board footer