You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-16 09:53:38

millus

[SOLVED by downgrade] Update broke notebook keyboard in any GUI

I did the usual "pacman -Syu" system update (noticable kernel 5.8) two days ago, usually updating like once a week maybe.
I didn't reboot instantly but let the Notebook run until it ran out of battery. Recharged it and turned it back on today to boot, and here's the problem:

As soon as it enters graphical mode, that means either the login manager or when I skip that and run "startxfce4" from the user's tty directly instead, the keyboard will no longer work!
I connected an external USB keyboard for testing purpose in this case, and that still works fine!

So if I let the system boot into the login manager (Slim) as usual then I will be unable to enter a username or password, or even press CTRL+ALT+DEL or do anything for that matter. I can only tap the power key once and archlinux will initiate the shutdown orderly, so it's not frozen or anything.
And if I instead don't use the login manager but just boot into tty of a user, keyboard is still working, but when I run "startxfce4" from there, it looks like XFCE is starting normally and I can do everything there using the mouse.. but again the keyboard isn't registering! No key stroke, including CTRL+ALT+DEL works.
(External USB keyboard still working fine, just the internal notebook keyboard doesn't.)

"SOLUTION":
See further below, same problem as IslandC0der mentions.
Solved by downgrading to Kernel 5.7.12.

Last edited by millus (2020-08-19 23:22:26)

#2 2020-08-19 09:06:13

WizKI

Re: [SOLVED by downgrade] Update broke notebook keyboard in any GUI

I have a similar problem on my laptop ASUS E402N.
Couple of days before, I've decided to change my network manager from netctl to connman. After removing/installing I've rebooted my system, and still my embedded keyboard and touch-pad don't work.
But my touch-pad still works in bios, and the keyboard still works in tty.
I've tried to reconfigure config files, reinstall drivers, xorg, libinput and maybe something else; no result.
Finally, I've decided to entirely reinstall my OS (/ and even EFI boot partition were completely formatted). But it still doesn't work in GUI (LightDM or SDDM), although the external mouse works well.
I've tried to run Manjaro Live OS. The keyboard and touch-pad works well inside.

Last edited by WizKI (2020-08-19 10:16:07)

#3 2020-08-19 11:36:48

IslandC0der

What you're describing sounds exactly like the issue I'm having.

#4 2020-08-19 12:52:28

WizKI

Ok, thanks.
I propose to abandon this topic and mark it as [SOLVED], and contribute those of IslandC0der which is more filled.

Last edited by WizKI (2020-08-19 12:54:14)

#5 2020-08-26 21:45:35

IslandC0der

Good news, we found a workaround on that thread! big_smile

Board footer